Rest in Peace Big Guy

Shane72

Boxer Booster
2015-09-12-12.49.44.jpg
I lost my big guy, Rocky September 18 - he was 10 years and 9 months old. He was the first dog that ever owned me. He was very healthy his whole life and even had an excellent checkup in February. In late July, he underwent emergency surgery following a sudden collapse. An ultrasound revealed he had a mass surrounding one of his kidneys and the mass had likely ruptured. His kidney was removed along with the mass. Unfortunately, a biopsy of the mass came back indicating hemangiosarcoma. He did recover from the surgery but never quite made it back to his old self. I opted not to put him through chemo/radiation as it wouldn't likely have had much effect on the prognosis and I wanted to make his last few weeks or months as comfortable and normal as I could. Eight weeks to the day following his first collapse, he collapsed again. This was the 18th of September. I knew. I took him to my vet and they were incredible in helping us through his last moments.
Rocky was a amazing dog. He touched many lives and everyone who ever met him immediately fell under his spell. He was goofy, playful and held on to his puppyish roots til the end. I could never ask for a sweeter, more loyal companion. I will miss you buddy. Rest in peace my friend.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I am so sorry for your loss. Run free at the rainbow bridge. Godspeed.
angeliconangeliconangelicon

GDOGS1

Boxer Insane
So sorry for your loss of Rocky will keep you in our thoughts and prayers during this most difficult time,run forever free Rocky and Godspeed

Shane72

Boxer Booster
Thanks to you all for your kind words and prayers. Boxerworld was instrumental, especially in the early years, in raising Rocky. There's a wealth of knowledge here. From how to train to what to feed, much of what I learned came from members here, from fellow boxer lovers. I was a complete noob but managed to raise a happy, healthy pup who in return gave me 10 of the best years of my life. I haven't been around here much in the intervening years but I thought of the rainbow bridge posts and knew I had to put a small tribute to Rocky here. I do plan to get another boxer. Maybe two eventually :) Not sure when I'll be ready but I can't imagine not having one of these silly, beautiful dogs in my life for long. I was always accused of spoiling Rocky but he spoiled me far worse...

rena

Boxer Booster
I'm so sorry for your loss - when the bond is so strong it is especially difficult. Godspeed dear Rockyangelicon

Independence

Boxer Insane
These amazing dogs definitely take a piece of our hearts when they crossed the bridge. Keep the good memories close. I know when it's time Rocky will send you a new pup (or two, or three :) to love. It will give you a piece of their heart to fill the hole. I hope by the time I cross the bridge my heart will be completely boxer.....