1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about show dogs....

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by MomiPiper, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MomiPiper

MomiPiper Boxer Pal

A neighbor of mine has a male terrier that when he is in the house she puts a strip of material around his waist and wraps his penis to his body to prevent him from peeing inside the house. She told me this is common place in the dog show world. The person she got the dog from used to show him. However IMHO, this seems wrong to me... kinda like her and the original owner were just too lazy to house train him. I was wondering if this act of tying a dogs penis to his body so tight as to make it PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE for him to urinate, is really common place in the world of showing.

2. paysmom

paysmom Boxer Insane

I believe the strip of material is called a "body band." (I've seen them for sale at dog shows) I don't believe they're put on that tight either.
    They are used for male dogs that have a problem with marking their territory indoors, or dogs with incontinence problems.

I'm sure she takes it off when he goes outside.

3. MikaMay

MikaMay Boxer Booster

Momipiper,

Sounds like your neighbor has mis-informed you?

What you're referring to is actually called a *belly band*. It is NOT put on tightly, & the purpose of it is most certainly NOT *to wrap a dog's penis to his body* to prevent him from urinating, so it is not cruel in any way.

Belly bands have a place inside them in which part of a feminine pad is placed to absorb the urine & are/should be changed frequently to prevent irritation to the skin.

These are used on male dogs - pet OR show -- (NOT just show dogs) who typically mark in the house where it is inappropriate. For many male dogs...it is either this or being re-homed. Some males mark...especially if they are being used (or have been used) as stud dogs. This can be a difficult habit to break & neutering does not always put a stop to it.
    I've known some male dogs who could not be stopped from marking until a belly band was used....the dogs did not like peeing on themselves and the use of the belly band greatly aided in stopping this behavior.

Hope this helps.

Mom to:
    Mika, flashy fawn girl
    Greta, flashy brindle girl

http://community.webtv.net/dcm54/MikasWorld

4. MomiPiper

MomiPiper Boxer Pal

The belly bands you both describe seem reasonable. I think it is quite possible my neighbor is just misusing them. She does wrap the EXTREMELY tightly around him and most of the time the tip of his penis is sticking out. She has openly said the only reason why she took the dog was for the purpose of breeding and the promise of dollar signs. The dog, as well as his parents all hold titles. I think this might just be a misuse of a otherwise reasonable training method, by an irresponsible pet owner. Grrrr. I'm not very impressed with my neighbor in any way shape or form to begin with and to be quite honest and this whole situation isn't helping. Unfortunately not all pet owners are like myself and the ones I have come across on this board. Next time I talk to her I might bring up the abosorbtion pad and let her know about them, bring it up as if SHE was misinformed by the previous owner. I'm hoping that is the case anyways.

5. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

I've never seen them used on boxers except really old dogs who were incontinent, so they could continue to have full run of the house without having to keep them off furniture, etc. It does seem more common with smaller dogs, however.

That said, my friends with stud dogs have them living in the house with them and they don't go around marking everything -- it's a trainable behavior. I do think some people accept that it's inevitable and DON'T train, however. And maybe with smaller dogs it's harder to prevent, the same way they're harder to housebreak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.