Pulling on leash (no control)

rrboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
My Autumn girl is a major puller and I was never able to train her to walk nicely on a leash even though I did have her in training classes - the walk on leash we didn't master. I am surprised because I managed to train my prior 2 boxers using same techniques. One of my difficulty was that Autumn was not really food oriented and she was more interested in playing with the other pups. We did 2 training classes with the same puppies, the 1st class all the puppies got to play together and interact. We worked on sit, teaching our puppies their name, and I don't think we worked on anything else. The next class which all the same puppies graduated to next level and this is where we learned, go to place, down, watch me, leave it, come, wait, go to daddy/mommy and walking on leash. Autumn hated, hated her leash. Also, during this 2nd training class she was so focused on other puppies (she just wanted to play all the time with them). So, now because I wasn't able to train her to walk nicely on leash she just pulls all the time. She had such puppy brain when we were in this 2nd training class she could barely focus on me and we barely passed this 2nd training class (though she did well at home with everything except walking on leash). When I took her to day camp this morning she just pulls so hard in the parking lot and I am afraid one day there might be an accident like her taking off and running off. The second I put her down from the suv she pulls. I can barely hold her and I am afraid of falling and hurting myself. I just recovered from a very bad sprained ankle and broken left foot. She is super excited when she sees we are at her day camp facility. She loves going and socializing with all the other dogs.

My question do you think it is possible to try to train her to be calm when I take her from my suv to the front receptionist area at day camp? I believe I am going to have to try to train her to walk on leash to get this done. Right? Not sure how to stop her excitement in the car then walking into the day camp facility. Any suggestions? P.S. I feel like such a failure with Autumn I did so well with prior 2 boxers in the training area for walking on leash.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
You might try a head halter, like a Gentle Leader. You need to get one that is designed for short nosed breeds, otherwise it will be too close to their eyes.

Learning to walk nicely on a leash can be a slow process.

Good luck!

garvinsmum

Completely Boxer Crazy
Fiona is the same. Unfortunately for a number of reasons we haven't been able to walk that much so every time we start again we are back to zero again. The only thing I have found that works is the frustrating one of stopping and making her sit every time she pulls. In the beginning we can't even get one step without having to stop and sit! It's not so much that they need to learn to walk, it's patience and self control. I start the beginning of the walk up and down in front of the house to let her settle a bit. Same thing when you get out of the car. Stop, sit, wait/stay. Then walk. Any pulling, stop, sit, wait/stay, then walk. And regular praise when she is walking nicely and making eye contact. It's really frustrating and boring but they do seem to get it after a bit.

rrboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am going to try to give it a go again. I was watching youtube.com and one of the trainers said to use a really high premium treat "he used bratwurst". I don't even really care if she walks beside me I just want her not to be pulling so hard where the leash has no tension. I am considering using another trainer and have the trainer come to my house so we can do one on one training.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
There are a couple of different things that you could try. One approach is, that if she pulls you stop and refuse to move. you don't move until she relaxes the leave. It will take along time to get anywhere, but eventually she will figure it out. Another thing you could try is putting some peanut butter on a wooden spoon. it will keep her at your side as she will be wanting to lick the spoon. You don't leave it down, otherwise the peanut butter would quickly disappear. You just raise and lower it. I know I'm not describing it very well. If you did a search you could fine more information online.

Good luck!

rrboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
Jan, that is an excellent idea so much easier with a wooden spoon then tucking my hand in treat bag and dropping my hand toward her face. Thank U.