1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not quite sure why she's still struggling with this? long...sorry

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by TysonCheeto, Sep 21, 2014.

1. TysonCheeto

TysonCheeto Completely Boxer Crazy

I think this is exactly what I'm going to implement starting today. I know know know...without a doubt, I need to gain some tough skin towards Arabella. She came pretty quickly after we lost Tyson and she filled a huge void, and the loss was so new when we got her, I think we probably let her get away with wayyyy to much.she has done so great with other things in the training dept. But I can completely see my role in this with the potty. Which I guess I didn't totally acknowledge until I started posting it into words lol.

Tyson was a super easy pup to train. Almost every time we sat down to eat dinner there he would be...sitting by the door like "yep...I need to go" and most of the time he wanted out to play LOL, but thinking back I would LOVE Arabella to do that!!! Even if it is a false alarm!!!

I really think Arabella from the beginning always was going to be a bit more of a challenge. Just because she is so easily distracted and spastic, LOL. It takes a lot to get her to focus...but bring out the treats and she won't look away from you and willing to do whatever you want lol.... So she CAN do it....I thought a lot this morning about it and there has been so much good advise. I definitely see some things that need to change, but ultimately going back to the basics , I think is the only way to go. Which all of the kids are back in school so it gives me a good chunk of the day to really work with this...

And wow about Cajun , that sounds like she definitely had re learn everything...that's amazing you had her trained so quickly... I really hope this makes a difference for Arabella. We really were doing all these things when Arabella was younger... And at times it was like "yes!!!! She's got it!!!!" And then she would completely revert back... So I just really hope consistently is the key. I thought we had been, but I just need to make it my mission now LOL....

I agree about the crate thing when its chaos time, its not helping her any if its just setting her back.... I really do think with my heart with her.... Its bad LOL. Were pretty tough on our human kids of what we expect of them, and the rules but miss Bella.... Somehow squeezed in and took my heart.... And I have a really tough time with "tough love" with her....Bentley too!!!! He's on eye drops right now, and I hate to do it!!! Because he is such a sweetheart. He never gives us any trouble, ever. He's my big old angle dog that came to us a bit fearful but he's so perfect....but when we do the drops, he just sits there. Doesn't move, lets you do it...then afterwards acts like he's been punished !!! :( .. I'm such a softie with them!!!!! But Arabella definitely needs to get this potty thing down.... So hopefully soon we will have this under control!!!!!! Not much of anything with her is easy lol... She's pretty headstrong, so I hope along with going back to the basics , and finding things that work with her, that she can get it..

2. TysonCheeto

So we had a good day :) lots of trips out and keeping her within eyesight. I'm having her sit by the door for treats before we go out potty and at the door back in.... I did crate her this evening during our busy time, but to ease my sadness about that (LOL) she got a Kong in there with her, and so she was okay with that arrangement LOL. So it worked out on the upper hand for her too :)

I feel very suspicious Arabella isn't going to get the hang of this. I know that's not good to think that way, but I just know her. And I know without a doubt when she was very little we were so diligent with her, yet she just has been a very tough one to train. She is a smart girl, and its not that she doesn't "get it" Arabella is very strong willed. Its not the work that goes into it that I worry about. I enjoy even the tough times with her. I really do. I enjoy a challenge and seeing the outcome..We had no accidents today and the day was smooth in regards to everything else. So I don't say it out of discouragement of the day, because it was great today. She is just a different kinda girl. I don't even know for sure how to put it into words. Like, for instance, she always has picked up during training sessions in a snap. Even the little tricks... She knows "give me your paw" one evening my daughter decided she wanted to teach her "give me your other paw" within less then 10 min. Arabella had it, and can still do it to this day no problem. Never forgot it....but you catch her in a naughty mood... Nothing will make her do it LOL. That goes for everything. If she has it in her head she isn't gonna do something... She won't. I just find it odd because Arabella has gone through quite long stretches of seeming like she's potty trained. Then she will have accidents for no apparent reason...yes I do agree I haven't stayed on top of her during the times she has had accidents. I think I get slack when she goes so long doing fine...

Hubby thinks we need to do the bells with Arabella. He has a good point. She LOVES doing little tricks for treats and loves things that are interactive. So he thinks we should do that and even if she just plays with the bells, we still go out... And I think that would fit Bella perfectly. I kinda forgot all about bell training. I think combined with the tips you guys have mentioned, we should make progress....I guess I'm just really curious.... Has anybody else had a challenge like this? I know little puppies go through times during training where they seem to get it then have a bad day or so and it kinda goes in waves like that, but as far as long stretches of seeming to get it, then just revert back, at her age? I was just curious if I was the only one with a diva dog who kinda turns it on and off when she's going to be house broke...LOL.... Not to keep rehashing, but I know we have had a lot of moves in a short time, (this is the LAST LOL) could that really be the issue??? Bentley will not eat when we move. He always gets ribby and it take a while to get meat on his bones. Just a thought.... OK I'm done rambling :) sorry guys!!!

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Yes, absolutely! With all the moves and the changes in her life she is going through a lot of stress. Moving can also cause house training issues in a previously well trained dog, never mind one that is maybe not quite reliable yet.

Keep doing what you are doing and I am sure she will get it eventually. Consistency is the key. Try hanging bells at the door, that way she can let you know that she wants to go out.

Good luck!

4. milfordks

milfordks Boxer Pal

I would agree with going back to potty training 101. I've had many dogs over the years: I had a GSD that never had an accident in the house (and I got him at 8 wks old and he lived to 12 yrs old), but also had a Chow that took forever to housetrain (she was stubborn - typical for the breed) and it took almost a year till she was completely house trained. I would take her out every hour that someone is home whether she needs to go or not. If she potties, do the pee pee celebration, give her lots of praise and make her feel like she won the lottery (I always saved treats for other training, but not house training). After a week or so of no accidents, start stretching her mandatory potty breaks to 2 hrs, then 3-4 hrs, then 4-6 till you feel confident that she's housebroken without any accidents. Keep doing the celebrations for a while even after she's got it. My Bella (2 yr old Boxer) is well behaved off leash and pees on command and I still give her lots of praise if I witness her going potty (she's been completely house broken since she was about 5-6 months old). ONLY discipline her if you actually 'catch' her in the act in the house. Just give her a stern "no" or "bad girl" to let her know you weren't pleased. If you didn't "catch' her in the act it's too late to discipline her (dogs won't realize what they are being punished for after the fact - if you don't catch them in the act it's too late).

5. TysonCheeto

I would agree with a good portion of what you say, although I tend to feel differently on a couple issues.

Arabella being almost a year, every hour outside is a little extream for her age. She is golden if taken out every 2 to 3 hours. I know that time frame is something she can handle. Its just when i tend to get distracted beyond that during certain portions of my day. I understand its never a bad idea to be over cautious though. It just seems as though those few hours periods she is being taken, usually that's not the times we are having accidents.

I respectfully disagree with the no treats for potty training :)

I completely understand Arabella will not remember if I find potty accidents later on, and so no need to correct the " offense " after the fact...however I do NOT agree with disciplining a dog for potty accidents. I believe that to set them back further. Arabella can be an anxious dog. So if I were to "bad girl!" her if I caught her having an accident, I have a pretty good feeling I would be asking for more trouble in the long run. If I catch an accident, I just redirect and take her immediately out. Weather I think she's got any left or not lol

The past few days we have not had any issues or accidents :) I really think life starting to get normal for us again is a huge help, and not letting myself get too distracted is key :) she's still a puppy so not letting her out of my sight is a huge part as well.. She wants to be a big girl...but she's just not yet LOL I think the crate time with a Kong is gonna be a super idea for our busy portion of the evening. That seems to be my problem area so that will def help. And as everybody has mentioned...just going back to potty basics and working forward should be the best bet :) I definitely wanna give the bells a shot though... I think Arabella will actually enjoy that LOL. I have to get some gates too....that will be a huge help!!!!! Thanks guys :)

brodieboxer likes this.
  6. milfordks

milfordks Boxer Pal

I think you hit it on the nail about not getting distracted with her retraining. If she is forgotten (not in a bad way, but just if you're distracted) it's not her fault if she has an accident. To her, she's just relieving herself when she needs to go whether it's indoors or outdoors. If Arabella is good for about 2-3 hours at a time it sounds like she is REALLY close to getting it.
    It's ok to not agree with some of my suggestions, I'm not offended at all. People have different ways of doing things.
    As far as disciplining, when I give a stern "no" or "bad girl", it's nothing more than raising my voice a little to let them know I was not pleased with whatever their behavior was - very similar to what a mother dog would do to correct a puppies behavior (a mother dog will snarl or even pinch the back of a pups neck with her teeth to teach them or correct them).

Good luck with Arabella's housetraining, sounds like she's heading in the right direction.

brodieboxer likes this.
  7. brodieboxer

brodieboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

We have bells at our back door, and my dogs will use them if sitting by the door doesn't get my attention. However, my little terror, um, terrier mix will also ring them if she sees a squirrel in the back yard that she just HAS to chase - lol! Fortunately, for me, she acts very differently in this case (very vocal and agitated), so I've learned to tell her no, and go lie down. Silly dogs...

8. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

I've had a number of clients with this issue. Yours is exactly the circumstance where I would suggest bell training. In most of the cases I think the dog just never learned that it was possible that they could initiate a chain of events that would get them outside. I know I've previously posted a detailed description of how I teach clients to bell train their dogs. If you need some guidance, let me know.

9. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Here's a cut and paste from a previous post of mine on bell training.
    " Teach her to nose or paw target your hand. Then teach her to nose or paw target the bells held in your hand. Then teach her to target the bells that you are touching with your finger. Then teach her to target the bells hung on the door that you point to. Then every time you go out, cue her to ring the bells herself and take her out. Once she is regularly ringing the bells on her own when you point to them, stand in front of the door like regular but don't prompt her and see if she figures out that if she decides to ring them herself that she still gets to go out."

10. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

I hope TysonCheeto has been doing well. She has not been on the site for a long time. The story about her little one ( Tyson ) still breaks my heart.