1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not quite sure why she's still struggling with this? long...sorry

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by TysonCheeto, Sep 21, 2014.

1. TysonCheeto

TysonCheeto Completely Boxer Crazy

So everybody knows my Arabella is a spastic crazy wild out naughty pup LOL. I debated posting this because I want to be sure my question comes out in the right tone!!! I'm not fustraighted with Arabella , I'm actually the only one who doesn't get worked up about this issue in my family.

So Arabella will be a year old in about a week. We still have housebreaking issues with her, and I'm not sure why. My suspicion is she has always been one of those puppies that just takes a lot more to train in most areas, and this is just something that followes suit.

She is still not solid at only going potty outside. Here is what our system is with her. We have never had a fence. So she has always been taken out potty on a leash, so we are for sure she does all her business. My kids get annoyed because if they take her out they know their gonna get asked if she pooped and if the answer is no, they have to take her back out until she does. I'm home during the day and about every two hours we go potty (give or take), more often if Bentley asks to go out in between (because he definitely couldn't be allowed to get an extra potty break and Arabella be content with not! LOL) but if I slack at all and get distracted she will go in the house. Sometimes by the door. Sometimes elsewhere. She is very well crate trained though. She has never pottied in her crate even as a new baby , never had that issue.

She sleeps in our room, we shut our door at night, she sleeps on the bed so she isn't crated at night and we never have accidents at night. She doesn't wake up to potty during the night. At 6 am (like clockwork) she gets in my face and I can feel her breathing and I guess if that goes unnoticed I get licked LOL... Anyway... That is her "I gotta go potty now...get up!!" Usual routine. However if the kids come into our room at any point through the night and leave the door open when they leave, and Arabella roams the house without me knowing...I will find a poopy mess the next morning. Every time. It doesn't happen often the kids do that, but its sure to happen when they do.

Arabella is one I think I will have to always treat as a very young puppy. I cant let her out of my sight, because she will get herself into trouble. Eat something, destroy something, potty somewhere, ect. We have moved more often then the average person so I often wondered if she just struggled to have a solid idea of where she's supposed to go ask to go potty... We always have used the same door no matter where we moved, but none the less...lots of moves.

My question is, has anybody else ever had a one year old still struggle with housebreaking? Dh doesn't have much patience. He doesn't scold her or yell at her (he would be a dead man) but he just doesn't understand it...so I take on all that with her. Which I prefer it that way. I don't want her picking up on him being fustraighted. He loves her to pieces its just one area he doesn't have a lot of patience with... I will say admittedly as long as I'm on top of Arabella taking her out very often, we don't have accidents. But.I still have to be very diligent to remember to take her out. Its almost become second nature a little timer goes off in my mind because its been this way for so long, although when the kids get home from school its chaotic for a couple hours...homework , dinner, ect... Were having to set a better schedule of how we do things because accidents will happen during that time.

I'm OK with continuing to take her out like we would a new puppy. I wish I didn't have to crate her when we leave (although its really not often) but I know without a doubt she would poop everywhere. We are currently in the process of getting our fence up and once that's complete I really want a doggie door. My hope is it will encourage her to go out on her own as needed. Not because I don't want to take her out, but that when she has the urge she will learn that's the outside portal for that Lol. Arabella loves outside and playing so I'm really hoping having that free roam to come in and out will help. Wishful thinking???

Sorry this is so long, I wanted to make sure I'm giving all info of the situation.... Im beginning to think I may be the only one who has a pup this age still having problems with this. I wouldn't say Arabella potties excessively, its really just exactly like a new puppy with the potty thing.

Her vet is annoying me, I went in Friday and got some heart guard, and got to talking about Arabella in heat and her vet is all pushing to get her spayed (of course) which were not doing for awhile. I assured her were not breeding!!! But she is very "old school" so doeant get my point many time...anyway...i really do not even want to consider putting her through a spay when were still battling housebreaking at the least.

Just curious for ideas... I feel like a bad moma that she's not fully housebroken :( I do put in a lot of effort with her. I do get distracted at times. I know that's where my fault lies. Just wondering if anybody ever had this situation with a fur baby at this age? And any advice on what I could do differently?

2. brodieboxer

brodieboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

I would keep her tethered to you while in the house, so she can't get into trouble, or limit the rooms she's allowed to stray into (I use baby gates at my house to keep my dogs out of certain rooms that don't have doors - i.e. the kitchen, hallway, and bedroom wing; close doors of rooms that have them). Set a timer, so you keep a strict schedule and don't get so distracted that she doesn't get let out in time. Resign yourself that she needs to be crated when you're not around. It's better than allowing her bad habit to continue. The bottom line - you can't allow accidents to happen in order to retrain her - back to Potty Training 101.

Also, you're cleaning accidents thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner, right? I use Nature's Miracle, but there are others. If she's going on carpet, invest in a carpet cleaning service that has special cleaner for dog odors so there's a clean slate, so to speak.

Wren bird likes this.
  3. TysonCheeto

Yes I use natures miracle as well :) we have only been in our new home for a week. So I don't currently have gates that fit the new living area, thankfully no carpet :) it was one of the things that attracted me to this house. My sister owns a rug Dr , and I was using a pet enzyme formula in that when we did have carpet. I'm really particular about smells in my house (my sister is the same way...hence she bought a rug Dr LOL) , so I held her machine hostage and wouldn't give it back LOL. Any little accident I had that thing out. I even started really breaking down the fibers in the carpet I used it so much :/ I definitely close all the doors and the living room , kitchen and hallway are where she has access to. I think gating the hallway area is a good idea then she would just have living room and kitchen access.... Although she tends to follow me everywhere, I hate to close her out. I always think about that when she has an accident that it is setting us back. Arabella is spoiled. I will be truthful if she is crated when we are home. She cries the whole time. Now if were in the same room she is fine. But if she knows were in the house and she is crated... She bawls. I really didn't want to crate her during the really hectic part of my evening when the kids get home because the dogs LOVE the kids. Its the highlight of their day. I know without a doubt to crate her when their home would be devastating for her. I do think because i spend the majority of that time in the evening in the kitchen area with the kids and homework and dinner...I should definitely get a gate and keep her in there with us. As far as tethering her to me....LOL.... Arabella is spastic... She is a crazy chick and never the norm LOL... She is fine outside on a leash... But when I tether her to me INSIDE she thinks its a game. I get this confused "are we going out.....or whaaaaaat are we doing here???" Then it's on... Butt up in the air and she thinks its some kinda playtime... She will grab the leash and act a fool. LOL she seriously thinks its something I'm doing to play. When I correct her to behave...she lays down and won't move. Seriously. I'll try to move around and she lays there and won't get it up and so essentially I'd have to drag her to move. I know you think I'm joking...I'm dead serious. D.r.a.m.a. is her middle name. I guess maybe if I did it more often she would learn that it isn't a game. Thank you for the advice... Maybe I just think too much with my heart with Arabella. She's the baby. I don't want to set her back. I want to get her beyond this.

4. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

I agree about gating off rooms or areas to limit access, at least until she is 100% trained. We have a pet gate that blocks off the hallway to the back of the house. We originally got it so the kitties could have an escape route if Rocky got to be too much for them (it has a kitty door) and it has a gate that easily opens so we can walk through. It's comes in handy though to keep Rocky in just one area. He'll follow us everywhere otherwise.

You mentioned a fence is in the works, and this will probably be a life changer (for the better)! You'll be able to just let her out to go potty and not need to go with her while you carry on about your day. She'll be able to romp around outside in a safe area without worry of her wandering off. Or, if you get a doggie door, she can trained to let herself out when she needs to go.

It sounds like you just have a few circumstances that have given you some setbacks, but I definitely wouldn't day you are a bad dog mama because she isn't fully housebroken.

5. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

There have been a lot of disruption for you this year so that may have had an impact on the toilet training .. Now you are settled and get your fence up things may improve , how many times a day does she poop? Roge is usually morning and evening ( usually on his walk ) I did notice however some time last yr I had to get a small bag of different food as the store was out if his regular one and he was pooping about 4 times a day with that ..maybe food it causing more movements or if it's loose she may not be able to hold it .
    Anyhow it's just a thought

6. TysonCheeto

Tanya, I'm REALLY also putting a lot of hope into the fence / doggie door. Lol I feel like for her it will be a good thing as well. Knowing her she won't stay out long with out us out there, but I really hope it changes our potty issues!!! Thanks for your insight on the gates as well. We have definitely been talking about getting gates for the new areas... The other house was an open floor plan so it took much wider , special style gates.... So now we need to readjust and get gates to accommodate this area...which will actually be a lot easier because all the entry ways are a more standard size.

Helen... Very very good point.... Hmmmm I know I switch their food too often , but this recent switch...now that you mention it, both dogs DO poo ALOT more. Arabella poops on average 4 times a day. She's a stinker...littlerly LOL. Its a good point though bbecause although house breaking has always been tough with Arabella, this food may not be the best choice during this time trying to hit this hard with her. It crossed my mind a couple days ago when we on "poopy scoop duty" that they seem to be going more often with larger poos. Its a good food... But right now may not be the best option..darn....they both love this food!! BTW ....such lovely conversations we have here on BW...LOL

Thanks guys!!! Both very good things to think about.

Wren bird likes this.
  7. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Erin ... just a thought, maybe way of base ....

Could it be that Arabella has been inadvertently trained to ONLY go potty when someone physically takes her outside on a leash ? Is it possible she hasn't learned the whole thing of recognizing when she needs to go and asking of her own accord ? Maybe her trigger is being leashed and directed ..... and if no-one happens to take her outside and she feels the urge to go, she maybe doesn't know what to do, so finds a spot inside the house ?

8. TysonCheeto

That very well could be true! She never goes and just sits by the door to go out. Bentley never would either...he is just happy to go out when you take him..but since we moved here...he will go stand by the door...and although Arabella doesn't sit by the door...since being here and Bentley being more "vocal" about going to the door...she has kinda picked up on it. She's more apt to go and walk around the door .. Not quite there as far as actually sitting there to let you know... But I think she is mimicking Bentley. I've always wished she would sit by the door... Arabella doesn't have accidents all day, or even everyday...just definitely if we get distracted past that few hour mark.... I wonder what we do if we have sorta "trained" her to go only when she's leashed and we go out. I'm really glad I posted this because it's bringing a lot of things to memory... Like when we do have fenced in play, she doesn't potty. Bentley has some "free feeling" thing and ALWAYS poops during unleashed play. ALWAYS. Arabella never does. As a matter of fact where we just moved from a few minutes up the road was a "dog park" we never encountered anybody else ever there. It was a police training facility for the k-9s but open. To the public... And Arabella would always potty when we got home before going inside.... On the leash...this fence may be a bigger blessing then I thought....I wonder how we try and un-train her.... Any ideas on how to encourage her to "ask" and go to the door when she needs to go? Im even more excited and anxious now to get a doggie door as this may really be a good thing for her...I'm sorry for the onslought of questions....

9. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

Never having trained ours to go potty on a leash, my thoughts on it may be way off on this but here they are.... We just went out with Rocky at first and gave him the potty command. We kept a baggie of treats in our pocket, being careful he didn't see the treats or else he would just wait for treats and not do anything. When he went potty, he was praised and got a treat. Once he got the point, we would let him out on his own, but stand at the door and watch to make sure he went. If he did, he got a treat when he came inside. We also started waiting to let him out until he whined at the door. This was tricky because sometimes he doesn't whine very loudly, and Rocky isn't a vocal guy with a lot of barking. It was basically just paying close attention.

Now, our boxer babies are super smart, and this silly guy will go outside just to sit and come straight back in thinking that it deserves a treat! And, since they are so smart, hopefully your Arabella will pick up on it all quickly too.

I will say we do wish we had used a leash when potty training because Rocky uses the WHOLE yard as his personal bathroom. I wish we have trained him to use one area, like you can do on a leash. We're in the process of reclaiming our yard, and relandscaping it, so I think it'll be a good time to hopefully train him to go in one area.

BTW, he goes poop about 4-5 times a day. He's on a very good food that he likes a lot. The poops are small, but are many. LOL, yep, the things we talk about on here :)

10. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

I really would just go back to potty training 101 and treat this like an 8 week old puppy learning for the first time. The only difference is you obviously don't have to let her out as frequently but otherwise I'd do the same stuff with rewarding, tethering, and keeping a very watchful eye on her to interrupt accidents.

Sometimes you have to do the "mean" stuff if you want to get to your desired goal, if it's a chaotic time of day and she hasn't been potty in a while, she will survive being in her crate with a Kong or bully stick or something for a short period.

My Doberman was 14 months old when I got her and was not housebroken. She was trained to go potty inside (she had a large kennel with a bed area and a bathroom area) and literally did not go outside AT ALL during the winter. She really had no concept of going to the bathroom on grass, we had to wait her out FOREVER before she finally would, and lots of times she'd pee in her crate, or when I brought her to work with me she would pee/poop in her run. Basically... I had my work cut out for me :) So she got the puppy treatment. We were outside like every hour if I could manage it. Treats and praise and playtime every time she got it right. No free roaming in the house, crated during dinner time or while I showered or at other "can't pay attention to dog" times. I only remember like 2 accidents she had actually in the house (like, outside of her crate) but I was VERY on top of her every move to prevent them.

And seriously, within 2 weeks she was trained. No longer had accidents in her crate, much faster about going to the grass and peeing, started going to the door when she needed to go out.... so it certainly CAN be done with lots of consistency. I know we had some advantage because she didn't have a history of pottying inside THIS house, but she certainly had a preference towards wanting to potty anywhere except outside.

As far as teaching a signal, with my guys I would take them outside pretty much anytime they acknowledged the back door. If they walked up to it or looked outside it or even made glances at it from far away... "need to go outside??" and out we'd go lol. If they didn't go potty, that's cool; and if they did, WOOHOO PARTY. I think that most dogs are probably not going to make the straight connection that they should sit or wait at the door. But a dog making a quick sweep past the back door might be wanting to go outside, and not sure how else to communicate that. So from the beginning I just assume that any interaction with the door means my dog wants to go outside, and then they start to learn as well that those interactions are what get them outside. Their signaling becomes stronger at that point in my experience, I guess once they become more sure that their communication is working (ie, Cajun used to just make one really quick, unsure sweep past the door in the beginning, and with time now she will pace in front of the door or just stand in front of it).

What I DIDN'T want to do is ignore something that might be my dog trying to signal to me. So while it seemed silly to run outside every time my dog looked at the door lol, a false alarm is better than her then peeing on the rug because I didn't "listen" to her. :)