Natural tail... HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanford7

Completely Boxer Crazy
Chesney has a full natural tail.. And she beats us to death with it.. Constantly in the face, on the legs (this isnt too bad), and in the head...she is beating us with her tail!! In the face and head it hurts!! But when she gets on the bed or you sit in the floor with her you are right at the perfect level to get whacked!! This morning I was putting my youngest son's shoes on and getting them tied and she whacked him straight in the eye..he didnt even have a chance to close his eye.. After all was okay I told him that she doesnt mean to do it but she just gets so happy. Is there a way to teach her an awareness about that lethal weapon??? She honestly is such a sweet, loving (but dumb) creature I dont think she has a clue how to make it stop because she even beans so hard she smacks herself in the face on a regular basis..

:LOL: Hey! I have one of those too! I have promised myself after this no more dogs with tails ever! Diesels nub is a joy after a good whacking with Dozers! I have 3 kids and Doz is the same way. Even Diesel will voluntarily close his eyes when he sees Doz walk in front of him. Doz whacks himself too! I Don't really know what to tell ya except practice having her sit alot. We have Doz sit for everything it seems to help a bit. :)

Last edited:

papturtle

Boxer Pal
Ah HAH!!!! Someone else with this issue also! Because we live in Australia, we arent allowed to dock our dogs' tails unless its a medical reason....

Eric has a problem in that he gets sooooo excited, he beats the walls and leaves bruises on my legs! On several occasions hes made his own tail bleed, so we went to the vet to see what could be done, and the vet was totally against taking his tail off, but suggested we try different greetings to keep him calm...

Its all very well a vet who doesnt live with him saying that, but when your baby has always always jumped up to kiss you hello and strut his stuff with a gift (ranging from his bed, to toys to garden hose) for you, its hard not to keep him excited....

We have tried however, to stop him jumping because it scares our guests a little :S so what we do is when we come home we greet them casually, like "hey puppies, how you going?" give them a pet, a kiss if im feeling generous, and then almost ignore them until im actually in the house - if they jump up at me, i put my hands out, palms up so they jump into the palm of my hand so they know i dont like it.

We also had a friendw ith small children who jsut used to get so annoyed at the dog licking him all the time, the dog got used to having a hand in his face and he gradually learnt not to both him...

So yeah - theres my advice.... Let me know how you get on!

sanford7

Completely Boxer Crazy
:LOL: Of all the long tailed dogs I ever had.. I never had this problem.. And to watch her coming up to you beaning so hard she is practically walking in half sideways across the floor with her eyes squinted because she "knows" that darn tail of hers is coming straight at her own face and she cant do a darn thing to stop it!! She is funny.. But gosh I do wish there was a way to teach her some awareness of it..

Opus

Boxer Pal
I don't think there's anything short of sedation (lol) that would matter. The tail wagging is a completely involuntary response and I doubt it can be "trained out." Our Spike has his full tail - 13" of pure pain- and my brother-in-law (a cop) says that his tail would make a better self-defense weapon than a baton!

If it's any consolation, Great Dane tails are worse. While they don't get as excited as our boxers, the Dane's tail is half again as long and is positioned at just the right height to bring a strong man to his knees. We have a good friend with two of them and he says they have darn near crippled him more than once.

Slobberchops

Boxer Insane
:LOL: Of all the long tailed dogs I ever had.. I never had this problem.. And to watch her coming up to you beaning so hard she is practically walking in half sideways across the floor with her eyes squinted because she "knows" that darn tail of hers is coming straight at her own face and she cant do a darn thing to stop it!! She is funny.. But gosh I do wish there was a way to teach her some awareness of it..

Hahaha,loved this description.
Waldo had been docked as a puppy,in 2000,but now it's illegal.
Would have loved to see him not walk like a crab.

erindakoda

Super Boxer
Every morning Dakoda runs into my in-laws room and all you hear is thud thud thud on the dresser next to their bed, she's their back up alarm clock and are still trying to find her snooze button!!
I really dont think thers a great deal of solutions here, just keep your head up, coffee table clear and teach sit asap. In saying that though Ducky's tail still wags up against her belly when shes sitting on it, and that is sooo funny!
Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.