my new foster, scared senior girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomtoMaggie

Boxer Booster
We are picking this little lady up at the shelter today at 3:00 pm and have a 6:00 pm vet appointment for her. Confused, scared senior shaking on her bed at California animal control - National Dogs | Examiner.com The shelter is releasing her early to us due to some medical conditions so would appreciate any good thoughts sent her way. She was a stray, so doesn't have a name, but we are thinking of calling her "Amazing Grace."

This gal went viral on Facebook, which can actually be a dangerous thing for a dog. There are unscrupulous rescues out there who potentially could have gotten their hands on her, taken the pledge money and not given her the vet care she needs. Sachi Animal Rescue's loving arms are around her now. I'm so honored to be given the opportunity to foster her. The seniors steal my heart and I know my Maggie is looking down and saying "mom, take care of her, love her like you love me."

Roge

Boxer Insane
Oh she is sooooo sweet .. God bless you for taking her in I am sure that she will thrive in your loving care and that Maggie guided you to her ..
Keep us posted on her progress.

joeys mom

Boxer Insane
lovicon

She is beautiful ..... THANK YOU for doing what you are doing!

Your comment " mom, take care of her, love her like you love me" brought tears to my eyes. I lost my boy in September and rescued my current furbaby in December and know he would think just that!

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
So wonderful that she found her way to you:) I really do believe our loved ones at the bridge have an influence over what furbabies find their way to each of us.

Thank you and can't wait to hear her updates:)

MomtoMaggie

Boxer Booster
Amazing Grace update

Here are our notes from the vet visit yesterday. She stayed there overnight and should be able to come "home" today. Some of the results we'll have back today, which will tell us what to do next diagnostically and treatment wise. I'm going to see her this afternoon after work

"Sachi’s newest addition, “Amazing” Grace, was pulled from the Downey shelter and immediately taken to Newport Harbor Animal Hospital in Costa Mesa. Here are the initial exam notes: X-rays of head, chest and spine were taken. Chest x-rays didn’t show a significant infection, but there is possible mass. It may be in the medium steinum (tissue between bone and heart), thymus or heart. Spine x-rays showed either infection or a tumor in the vertebrae along with “horrid” arthritis. Head x-rays were challenging as she did not sit still. The side of her nostril where the blood was coming from was clear, but there was possibly something visible in the other nostril. All X-rays are being sent to a radiologist for further examination. Five samples were aspirated from the growth on the teet and are being sent out for cytology by a pathologist. Senior panel sent out, which includes super chem. 27, cbc, urinalysis, heart worm test and thyroid levels. A urine culture and sensitivity was also sent out because if there is a bone infection, the bacteria will often show up in the urine. Grace is starting on antibiotics that will help treat the lungs and bacteria found in bone. Lung infection is not severe, but the possible bone infection is concerning. Results of the C&S will determine further antibiotic therapy. She displays neurologic deficits. Causes could be from the spot on the spine, severe arthritis or from significant muscle mass loss as she is emaciated. Pending results will determine next steps and further tests like ultrasound will be performed. Some good news…the white marks in her blue eye are scar tissue and is not causing any discomfort, however she is blind in that eye. The vet suspects it’s from a previous injury that was never treated. Grace has a LONG road and a lot more tests once initial results come back and we promise to continue to share her journey, diagnosis and treatment with you!"

Boxer hugs and kisses,

Heather, mom to
Gabby/boxer/70 lbs/26 months/very good and healthy girl
&
Forever missing Maggie/boxer/68 lbs/12 +yrs/ CKD, chronic pancreatitis, hypothyroidism, arthritis, arrhythmia controlled by sotalol, adult onset epilepsy, likely IBD,a heart condition suspected to be ARVC or DCM, mammary cancer spread to lower lymph node and high BP controlled by amolodopine. Got her wings 2.20.14 at 6:20 pm after giving us 5 years, 4 months and 17 days of unconditional love
Orange County, CA

MomtoMaggie

Boxer Booster
She's here

Amazing Grace has arrived. At the moment she is napping. Well, actually in a very deep relaxed sleep, so she definitely feels safe. The radiologist reviewed the x-rays. There is possibly a mass in her lung, but needs to x-rayed again in 3-4 weeks to determine if it is. Their biggest concern is what they saw in the nasal passage. It could either be a tumor or a fungal infection. A culture is being run with results coming in the next day or two. A C&S had already been sent on her urine, which is good because the urinalysis did show she has a UTI.

She's very wobbly. We just pulled up all the extra rugs that we had around for Maggie, but put them all back today. Her hind end is so weak. Her blood work was stellar, so she was able to start on rimadyl yesterday and also began a course of adequan. I'm not a big fan of NSAID's, but this girl needs them right now. Hopefully between that, getting some muscle mass back on her emaciated body and some acupuncture will bring her relief from the severe arthritis.

We have a professional photographer that volunteers for Sachi. She is coming by on Sunday to take some pics of Grace, so I'll post a few of those when I have them.

Boxer hugs and kisses,

Heather, mom to
Gabby/boxer/70 lbs/26 months/very good and healthy girl
&
Forever missing Maggie/boxer/68 lbs/12 +yrs/ CKD, chronic pancreatitis, hypothyroidism, arthritis, arrhythmia controlled by sotalol, adult onset epilepsy, likely IBD,a heart condition suspected to be ARVC or DCM, mammary cancer spread to lower lymph node and high BP controlled by amolodopine. Got her wings 2.20.14 at 6:20 pm after giving us 5 years, 4 months and 17 days of unconditional love
Orange County, CA

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
Wonderful that she's sleeping soundly, that will help in her recovery:)

I hope they are not tumors and just infections that can be cleared up.

Sending healing (((vibes))) to her and big hugs to you for fostering this sweet girl. I know she is in the best possible hands:)

brandygsmom

Boxer Booster
I've been following her on Facebook. Thank you SO much for taking her in!! You're an angel. The seniors always get to me and when I first saw her video, my heart broke into a million pieces. A friend of mine has fostered for Sachi. They are a great rescue! I'm looking forward to reading her updates.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
How is this old lady doing? I don't do facebook so I can't follow there. I hope it is working out for her.
Bless you for taking her in and giving her somewhere secure to relax and hopefully heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.