My Heart Has Been Broken Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

trc4941

Super Boxer
We lost our dear Rocco on Jan 31, 2013. Now it has happened again. My sweet honey bear, Dino had to euthanized on August 9th. He would have turned 7 in Sept. It was so horrible. He developed vestibular disease. It came on fast, sudden and so hard. He couldn't straighten out his body. He was in a permanent kidney bean with his head and neck twisted in the other direction. He couldn't walk a straight line. He'd try to go potty and tip over. I had to hold him up so he could do his business.

He had some mild symptoms in the past, where his head would be cocked to the side and he'd have trouble going down stairs - like he had no balance. But he would snap out of it in a couple of days. This time it was so extreme. He could barely walk Wednesday evening, then Thurs morning he wasn't as bad and I took him for our regular early morning walk where he's off his leash most of the time. He ran around with the other dogs pretty normally. When I got home that evening he was bad again. We took him out to go potty and he couldn't stand long enough to go. So we tried again later in the evening. That's when I had to hold him up. He peed for so long. The poor guy was holding it all day. I knew he had to poop so I stayed out with him holding him up as he TRIED to roam around to do his pooping. He finally got into position and then started to tip over. I held him again and he did his business but then fell backwards and stepped in his poop. To walk, he would have to lean against my legs with all of his weight and I'd shuffle along with him. And he would still fall over and roll. Friday morning he wouldn't even attempt to get up. We took him to the vet as soon as they opened. Dino had to be carried into the clinic. The vet said he was sorry but he couldn't tell us anything definite. Sometimes they come out of it, but it usually recurs. You don't know when or for how long. We could tell he was soooooo scared. He didn't know what was happening to him. He would try to fight it by stiffening out. It was just heartbreaking. We made the hardest decision ever. And we are still second guessing ourselves.

Dino had the sweetest soul and the biggest heart of any dog we've ever had or known. I still can't believe he's gone.

ELubas

Boxer Insane
I am so so sorry for your loss. Your poor baby :( That sounds so awful for all of you. I know you must be so heart broken-thank God you were there for him. I am sure he felt safer with you and you eased his fears. Again , my deepest condolences. Rest easy sweet Dino-you deserve to be at peace.angelicon

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how scared your or Dino must have been. Please don't second guess yourself. You said he was scared. Scared is not a good way to live. You did what was right and Dino is running free and happy at the bridge. Rocco was probably waiting right there for him when he arrived so he isn't scared anymore.

Again I am so sorry for your loss.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I am so sorry for your loss! I am sure you did the right thing. Please don't second guess yourself. Dino is at peace now. Running free at Rainbow Bridge.

Godspeed Dino!
angeliconangeliconangeliconangelicon

GDOGS1

Boxer Insane
So sorry for your loss of Dino,will keep you in our thoughts and prayers during this most difficult time.run forever free Dino and Godspeed.

furrykidmom

Completely Boxer Crazy
First and foremost, I am so sorry for your loss. It is incredibly painful.

And I agree with the others. Do not second guess yourself. You did the most humane thing for him. To hold onto him would have been selfish. A dog who is suffering is confused and scared and that is no way to live, especially for a Boxer. If you knew for certain that things were going to get better and stay better it might have been different.

But if he was that scared and confused his personality might have changed into a dog that you did not know and he would have had such incredible guilt and you would have been left with memories of a dog that you do not know.

You did the right thing.

johann

Boxer Insane
I'm so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing for Dino, so please don't second guess yourself

DebbieJen

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am so very sorry for your loss of Dino. I know how difficult it is to put an animal to sleep.

In the end you know you did the right thing. Peace be with you.

trc4941

Super Boxer
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your touching and healing words. You have all helped me immensely. I still think about Dino numerous times a day and probably always will.

Status
Not open for further replies.