1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dog has lymphoma......

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by SweetCody, May 20, 2015.

1. SweetCody

SweetCody Boxer Insane

Hello everyone. I have been absent from boxerworld for many years now, life just gets in the way. My poor sweet Cody has been diagnosed with lymphoma. He is coming up on 9 years this October and I am a little worried that he might not make it. We have opted not to do any chemo as the doctors feel positive that this will not cure the cancer and it will only make him miserable for the short time he has left. He has been on prednisone for about a week now and was doing okay for the first couple of days. Then he started acting like he had a bad stomach ache. He has always had a tender tummy and I think he might have eaten something that has upset him. Diarrhea for days now and not a whole lot of drinking for the last two days. I started him on a bland diet yesterday of white rice and chicken, and I think I'm going to start adding some B Complex to it starting tonight. Has anyone given there dog with cancer B Complex? Does it help? My poor boy is miserable and I'm not sure if it is the stomach or the cancer, or if the cancer or prednisone is causing the stomach problems. Just very stressed and sad. I watched my childhood pup Snoopy suffer horribly with lymphoma because my Mom just couldn't put him down and she waited so long and then finally did it. I will not see that happen to my sweet Cody, but I am not sure that it is time yet, he is miserable right now, but I think he might get better from the stomach and we could have some more good time left with him. Just confused and needed to vent and maybe hear some kind words from people who understand.

2. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I have no information or experience to offer, just my prayers and positive (((vibes))) being sent.

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Oh boy what a tough situation!!
    Just keep doing what you think best .. Hopefully you can make him feel better with the bland diet ..
    Sending healing <<< vibes >>> your way and keep us posted on how he's doing .

4. Linda/NJ

Linda/NJ Boxer Insane

Hello, I remember you. I am sorry to hear Cody's diagnosis. I don't have much advice, but the bland diet is a good thing. Keeping you and Cody in my thoughts...

5. SweetCody

SweetCody Boxer Insane

Thanks for the kind words. Yesterday we took him to the vet and they said the stomach could be cancer or could be just a sore tummy. They have decreased his prednisone and added an antibiotic and prilosec. Yesterday afternoon was good. He was alert and interested and he even greeted me at the door when I got home from work lovicon . They estimate about 2 to 4 weeks. So sad, he is just too sweet for this. It isn't fair, I hate cancer.

6. ZekeZira

ZekeZira Completely Boxer Crazy

Oh goodness. sadicon How terrible for you all. Many hugs and kisses to Cody and many positive and strength-giving thoughts to you and your family.

7. Independence

Independence Boxer Insane

I would have suggested an antacid and something to help with the runs. Looks like you have that covered. Only other advice is enjoy your days and don't let him see you sad. He doesn't know he's sick. So sorry you are going thru this. Know there are lots of us that have been there and understand. Hugs to you both.

8. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

I have been in your shoes and IT IS HARD.. sorry but the only advice I have is like others have said... Cherish everyday you have left. My Joey was given only a few weeks to live after being diagnosed wth Lymphoma but he actually lasted several months so hopefully the tummy issues will end and you can have some more time with your sweet Cody loveicon hugs to you hugicon

Moon likes this.
  9. johann

johann Boxer Insane

I'm so sorry to hear about Cody. I remember you and him from way back.

I hope that you are able to have many more happy days and memories with him. Thinking of you

10. happycamper

happycamper Boxer Booster

I lost my boy Zeus to lymphoma a year ago this month. He was just about to turn 7. He was put on prednisone as well. Although this drug is great in helping with lymphoma in the short term, be aware that its effectiveness will diminish over time and there are a lot of side effects with this drug. Upset tummy for certain - your vet should be able to give you something for that as well - my apologies I cant remember what they put Zeus on for that. The other major side effects are change in disposition (you may find Cody becomes nervous and jumpy), very excessive thirst, and his ability to hold his bladder is going to diminish considerably. Near the end of his journey, Zeus required bathroom breaks every few hours or he would not be able to hold it. Cherish the time you have left with Cody. Watch him closely and he will tell you when it's time. Best of luck to you.