1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muzzle Length-Not a "Real" boxer???

Discussion in 'Canine genetics and heredity issues' started by jontiff, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jontiff

jontiff Boxer Buddy

No offense taken at all. I was just thinking that you must know her because you evaluated her perfectly- ha ha. She always has something negative to say and there is absolutely NO TOPIC that she doesn't know everything about (at least she thinks). I do know she just does this to make herself feel better but sometimes you can only brush off so much. Thanks again.

2. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

I think he's a very attractive dog and have no reason to think he's anything but purebred boxer (couldn't really see his body but the long muzzle and the very light color mask are two traits that crop up when you're not consistently breeding for type - the muzzle is a very hard thing to keep, and even the best bred litters can end up with more poor heads than good, and the loss of the mask in a fawn usually happens with multiple generations of fawn to fawn breeding). I don't see any OTHER breed in him, however.

As for having sire and dam on the premesis, it's not an absolute bad sign, but it's something to look for. As Jan pointed out, even in a highly competitive breeding kennel the chances of having the perfect mate for your girl in the same house isn't particularly high, and furthermore, chances are your dogs are already related closely anyway! Most folks I know will keep one male and several girls, but seldom end up breeding them to each other. They have a network of people with dogs related less closely to whom they can turn for breeding close up. Of course there are exceptions, and a breeder might buy a girl from a different line, bring her home and breed her to her male, or lose her old dog and buy back a distant relative and breed her to one of her girls.

There are people who try to buy a quality dog and bitch to breed together, but that's usually putting the cart before the horse, and proving one or the other and then seeking out the ideal mate is preferable.

3. Laila63139

Laila63139 Boxer Booster

Both of your babies are beautiful, your story is really similar to mine from 2004. We met the parents and they both looked good, and the breeder presented us with a AKC application.(thread link below) I eventually determined that our BYB was dishonest about that. We now believe Laila is a boxer/beagle mix although that's unconfirmed.

Did you send in for his AKC registration yet? I discovered the breeder's dishonesty when we got the registration back. We met 2 fawn parents and when we got the family tree back with her certificate it stated the mother was brindle. I filed a complaint with AKC and hopefully caused the breeder to lose his license.

Anyhow, we love our girl and wouldn't change a thing about her now, except that she has severe allergies and we're constantly working with that. Someday I may send in for the mixed breed profiling test to confirm what % boxer she is :)

Enjoy your babies. I love the picture of the two of them together on the bath mat.

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62098

4. jontiff

jontiff Boxer Buddy

I never did send for the certificate although I was given all the paperwork along with the genealogy tree. Elvis looks so much like his father (big with a slightly longer muzzle than the standard). The mother was also there with the nursing babies so I don't have any doubts that was the actual mother and father on site. I guess the only question would be whether Elvis' dad was a purebred as stated on the ancestry sheet. The mother had a pretty short (standard) muzzle. I couldn't guess any other breed of dog mixed in with Elvis as he does look all boxer to me too.

If I had to guess a breed maybe a mastiff. The funny thing is that boxers are a German dog who descended from the Bullenbeisser (spelling may be off) and were later crossed with bulldog- I'm sure their were other breeds involved. I have read that the Mastiff was also a descendant of the Bullenbeisser and some of the other breeds included in their creation. Some of the literature states that they are distantly related. I can definitely see the similarities between the two breeds as I have had several friends with mastiffs and their personalities have similarities too. You will see some boxers with a very short muzzle that looks more bulldog than boxer and some with a longer muzzle (perhaps from their ancestry). That seems pretty natural considering their bloodlines. Anyway, I guess it would be interesting to check, I have been debating on getting a test done just for curiosity.

Your baby is also very beautiful. He looks like he's maybe mixed with a retreiver type breed - he looks a lot like the ridgeback (I believe Rhodesian Ridgeback is the proper name) - beautiful dogs. Did you ever find out the mix? I see the boxer in him too. As long as we're not breeding or showing I don't even understand the relevance other than to make someone feel like they have something less than they do and my dogs are golden to me. If it makes them feel better I'm far from purebred too.

5. fvalls

fvalls Boxer Buddy

What is BYB?

6. jontiff

jontiff Boxer Buddy

Back Yard Breeder.

7. misspage

misspage Boxer Pal

He's a darling looking boy. His nose may not conform with breed standard but who cares? He's your beautiful Boxer boy and I bet a joy to have in your family, as all Boxers are :)

8. jenalyn

jenalyn Boxer Booster

My Thatcher has a long nose. We know now that he came from a byb that was trying to get xtra xmas $$ Too bad for them they ended up with 2 of the pups that didn't sell, what a suprise :rolleyes: At least they kept them in stead of the sad alternative... any ways, he is all boxer!! I'm glad his nose is longer, that way he doesn't keep us up all night sleepicon snoring!! :LOL:

9. Laila63139

Laila63139 Boxer Booster

Oh my long-nosed girl does her share of the snoring!

10. Laila63139

Laila63139 Boxer Booster

We haven't found out the mix yet, we're guessing Laila is boxer and beagle, possibly with something else in there. I agree with you that she looks like a RR and the only thing that keeps me from thinking that's in the mix is her size. Laila is full-grown and only 42 pounds. I believe RRs are big dogs.

My baby is also golden to me regardless of her breeding. She has all the boxer personality traits which is really all we were looking for.. A great pet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.