1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merrick food switch?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by JHarper, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHarper

JHarper Boxer Booster

So my 2 have been eating canidae for a long while now, and while I love them on it, I really dont think they enjoy the taste too much. The food just sits in the bowl until they are practically starved, then they'll eat it.

I've been eyeing The Merrick wilderness blend.
    It looks like it would be more appealing for them.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/167/cat/3

and I'm wondering if anyone feeds this, and how their dogs are on it.

I've got about 2 hours before I'm going to the store to get food for my little monsters, so quick replies will be helpful. =P

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  2. whitedaisy

whitedaisy Boxer Booster

I'm really bad a searching this board, so I'm not sure where, but just yesterday I read somewhere on BW that it's a good idea to switch foods at minimum of every 3 months. Do this for variety in nutritional ingredients and taste. It said you can switch between brands or same brand, different Ingredients, but you should do it slowly if your dog has sensitive tummy. This info may have been a "sticky" so try a search. HTH :)

3. ZiggyOne

ZiggyOne Boxer Pal

We have had our Ziggy on both Wilderness Blend and Turducken a few months before that and he did very well on both. we too tried Canidea but he just didi not like the taste either.

I am just now in teh process of switching to Fromm Chicken Veg for no other reason but to mix his protein/diet. Merrick will most likely always be in our rotation!

Good luck

4. Ronin1

Ronin1 Boxer Insane

I've fed Ronin Wilderness Blend for a while now. I too tried Canidae and it just didn't agree with him. He really loves the WB and does great on it - nice shiny coat and little shedding. I also give him half a can of the wet Merrick with his meals. They have some really great flavors with their canned variety and he always finishes his entire meal! :)

5. Rocco's Mom

Rocco's Mom Super Boxer

We are giving Merrick a try here too. Rocco had been on Timberwolf for over a year (various formula's) and has recently started licking his feet like crazy. I went to the local pet store and thought I'd give the Turducken a try that and the Wilderness Blend are in the 5 star range in the dog food analysis. I'm curious to see how your switch is going...so far so good over here although now, he is picking out the Merrick food and leaving alot of the TO behind. Keep us posted on the progress of your switch. I am just hoping we don't get an increase in the gas ;) we've had very little of that since he's been on TO.
    Good luck hope they like it!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  6. tolosate

tolosate Boxer Pal

Shelby became ill right after I got her. I figured changing to a high quality food would help. I asked some of the staff at Agway and they recommended Merrick Puppy Plate. They said the meat in there was good enough for human consumption. Plus it had organic chicken, carrots, peas, blueberries, things like that. So I tried it. She had loose stool the whole time she was on it (more than a month, long enough to get used to it), sometimes bad diareah (up to 6 times a day) so I switched to Canidae. Her stools are much firmer with the Canidae and she poops less. Not saying Merrick is a bad food, by reading the ingredients you'll see that its a very good food, just not for some dogs with sensative stomachs. Good luck.

7. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

Last time I was switching (off Wellness) I looked into Merrick. The place where I buy my food also has a boarding kennel and she said most of the dogs wouldn't touch the Merrick kibble (she agrees that they all love the canned Merrick). She said Artemis is popular with most dogs and mine like it.

I continue to buy the Merrick canned food for treats.

8. JHarper

JHarper Boxer Booster

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, and why I haven't bought any yet. I did order some huge bone chewies from there, and wanted to get the dry food sample pack, but they've been sold out for a while. That was no help for me. lol

9. Burton'sMa

Burton'sMa Boxer Booster

Well I just picked up the Merrick Turkducken and my boy loved it.....I am switching him off of Wellness Lamb and Rice......he was very gassy with the Wellness.....I just fed it to him and he tried to pick it out and avoid eating his Wellness....I found a place that sold me a 5lb. bag to try....so, we'll see how this goes.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.