1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melatonin.

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by joeys mom, Jan 22, 2020.

1. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

Has anyone given their pup melatonin? Chance is NOT SLEEPING at all .... He is on Prednisone 1 pill both am and pm .... he probably will be for quit some time if not the rest of his life ( due to Cancer) We are desperate to get some sleep at my house. He is just like a little new born baby and up every hour or 2. He cant help it and I feel so bad for him :(

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Poor Chance and poor you! I would certainly give it a try. It wouldn't hurt. Is he in pain? Maybe a dose of Metacam before bed, would help. It worked really well with Markus, when he had spondylosis. You can easily adjust the dose, since it is a liquid. Talk to your vet about it.
    Good luck!

3. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

I do no think he is in pain ... I think it is just so much steroids that is keeping him up ... I am talking to vet tomorrow and see what they suggest for a dosage and to make sure that it is ok with all other meds he is on!

4. Jan

Hopefully the vet will be able to help. He could advise you on the Malatonin too.
    Good luck!

joeys mom likes this.
  5. Linda/NJ

Linda/NJ Boxer Insane

Sorry to hear he is not sleeping well. I hope the vet was able to recommend something.

joeys mom likes this.
  6. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

just a quick update - we have figured out the sleeping issue - I was giving him 2 Benadryl in the morning and 2 at night ( per vet) for his itchy healing skin. I was also waiting until around 10 pm to give the Benadryl ... I cut him back to 1 am and pm and giving it earlier ( @7) will all other meds. since then he has slept through he night, or almost anyway he usually gets up around 3:30-4:30 to potty and goes right back to sleep so we are much happier now :)

Cami and Gatorblu like this.
  7. Jan

I am glad to hear that you figured it out, and that he is sleeping much better. :)

joeys mom likes this.
  8. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I am glad you found out what was going on. Benadryl effects each dog differently. I have had a dog it didn't seem to bother one way or another. And one it amped up, and two that it would mellow out. Hopefully everyone is getting more sleep.

joeys mom likes this.
  9. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

We are sleeping much better now - unfortunately not in our bed anymore, I am on couch and he is snuggled up to it on the floor on a pallet - lol whatever makes him happy is what we are doing!

Gatorblu and Moon like this.
  10. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Oh, I get it! During Thor's last few months, I took my sofa out of the living room and moved my mattress downstairs. We slept together on that.

joeys mom likes this.