1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kennel in Garage?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by sjt3409, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjt3409

sjt3409 Boxer Buddy

I'm moving to a new townhome this week and am considering purchasing a kennel (this one) for Brittany. In my current house she is locked in the laundry room which is pretty big while I'm at work. I don't want to give her free run of the house any more with the new carpet and also don't quite have the room for my current crate. Does anyone else keep their dog in the garage during the day? The garage is well insulated, I'm going to monitor the temperature over the next few weeks while she is at my parents place. I would only keep her in there if the temperature range is comfortable and would also consider using a fan if needed. Thanks for the advice.

2. bucca

bucca Boxer Insane

you mention that you had given her free roam but now that you got new rug you dont, is she housebroken? if so i would continue to let her have free roam, i dont crate my dogs but know someone who also puts their dogs in the garage during the day, it was totally cleared out and cleaned up and the bed and food and water dishes and toys are there the gargage is heated in winter and air cond it summer.

3. Brynn1508

Brynn1508 Boxer Insane

Most garages aren't heated and cooled though. Please be careful doing this...

4. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

...make sure the garage isn't used as a garage with exhaust fumes as well as other chemicals.....also post pet info visible from the outside in case of an emergency when you are away.

5. Donna1969

Donna1969 Boxer Insane

My garage is piping hot during the warmer months..and cold during the colder months as are most of the gargages I've been in. Not to mention they get really humid. Unless the garage is heated/cooled, it might not be the best idea.

Can't you crate her (get a bigger crate)? My friend Rottie went wild in her gargage..also empty. He chewed a huge hole in the door that lead to the inside of the house. He also pee/poo'd up a storm (he was housebroken) in there and made a huge mess with it. His paws were a mess with imjuries..digging at the door etc..as wsa his mouth. He hated being in there, once she crated him (she thought the gargage would be better..more room to move around etc) all the "accidents" stopped and so did the injuries.

6. sjt3409

sjt3409 Boxer Buddy

She is housebroken, in my previous apartment she never had an accident and was not crated. Once I moved into my current house she had a lot more accidents (peeing almost daily over the past 2 months, that's why she was confined to laundry room). If she was was not having these accidents I'd leave her free in the new house, but don't want to take the chance with all new carpet.

Like I said I'm going to monitor the temp in the garage over the few weeks while she is away. If it seems like it is too hot I'll have to go back to crating her inside.

7. Kirby Kirb

Kirby Kirb Boxer Insane

I am no expert, but I would consider crating her in the house. If she is used to being loose, or even confined in an home area, it is what she is use to. I think putting her in a garage would be too hard on her. I believe the garge if not equiped with a cooling system would be way too hot for her, and unsafe. Even with a fan, it would not be sufficient, it would be like a dryer blowing on her. My opinion would be that she might think she is being punished for something, and might lash out. I would see what you could do in your house, it would be the best thing, I think. Best of luck, keep us posted!! :)

8. Donna1969

Donna1969 Boxer Insane

Have you had her checked for a UTI? A housebroken doggie normally will not pee in the house unless there is a reason(unless of course not let out for more time than they can actually hold it). It could be a medical issue thats leading her to pee in the hosue.

BTW hold old is this girl? Is she still a pup? Or is she an adolescent/adult thats been housebroken for a while?

9. CarolynRuth

CarolynRuth Boxer Booster

Brewster had a couple accidents at first when we moved - so I crated him for about a week and he was back to his self again. I'm assuming the stress and confusion of moving threw him off. Me personally, I definitely put my pups over my carpet. Mine was new when I moved in too, and even with the accidents, still looks great. I just had to stay on top of cleaning it. How old is she? If you take her out for a long walk right before you leave and possibly come home during lunch or have someone take her out for you in the middle of the day, I really think she'd be fine if she has already been housetrained. Also, what about putting a babygate up in the kitchen?

I just really worry about the concrete floor, the unfamiliar environment, the stuffiness, etc when it comes to the garage. Even if it isn't overly hot or cold (since you are going to check that out first) it still has a lot of other factors that aren't the best for pups which may produce behavior that you wouldn't expect (depression, anxiety, etc).

My townhouse is 700 sq. ft and we managed to fit the crate in the living room - just took some creative arranging ;)

Just my two cents :)

10. sjt3409

sjt3409 Boxer Buddy

She is just over 2 years old. She was house broken pretty young and did fine until just a few months ago. Once I get her back (I'm traveling quite a bit over the next months so she's at my parents) I'm going to bring her in for a urinalysis/UTI check. Like I said she was fine up until a few months ago and then all of sudden she would have her accidents. They only occured while she was locked in the laundry room while at work. Never when we are home. Going to consider the baby gate in the kitchen, have to work that one out with the girlfriend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.