1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Itching puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Touzy, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Touzy

Touzy Boxer Booster

My six month old is starting her first summer, she likes to keep cool playing in the hose. She has started itching and nibbling more than any of my other boxers. I can’t find a reason. Any suggestions? I hate to have her on medication at this early an age. She is also my first dark brindle. My boys were fawns.

2. joeys mom

joeys mom Boxer Insane

You could try giving coconut oil or fish oil and vitamin E to help with dry skin.

3. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

There are a lot of reason for itchiness.

Is her skin dry? Adding fish oil and vitamin e to her food can help. Or do you notice itching more at certain times than others? I had a girl with numerous allergies, but one of her worst was grass. I would keep a bucket of water and a stack of wash cloths by the back door. I would wipe her and the other dogs down as they came in to keep outdoor allergens out of the house. People had to remove her shoes before coming in as well. Windows closed during lawn mowing, mine and neighbors. If she is getting wet and staying wet after playing in the house you might want to make up a spray bottle of apple cider vinegar and water (50/50) and spray her down after playing in the hose to keep yeast down.

If none of that works look changing up her food. It could be a food allergy. If you are feeding a chicken based food, look for another protein source. My boy eats a fish based food. Earthborn Coastal Catch, it is grain free (another top allergen) and holistic. He is 85 lbs and it taakes him about 5 weeks to go through a bag. You can get it at Tractor Supply.