1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new vet

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Sansal, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

So yesterday I went to the vet for Sky's last shot and also to schedule her appointment to get spayed. When I asked about Ace she said they always use it and never had a problem. She didn't seem to be aware of any problems with the use of Ace in any breed. So I don't think I feel confortable having her spayed there. It's kind of disappointing since other than the Ace issue I had a good relationship with her and trusted her with both of my dogs. So now I'm looking for a new vet in Rhode Island. Can anyone recommend one?

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

All is not lost just yet!
    If you really like the vet and feel comfortable with her abilities than why not print up a few articles about the use of ACE in Boxers and show her that your concerns are valid.
    If AFTER that she still isn't willing to budge THEN you can seek out a new facility.
    The problem with ACE is that there are NO contradictions on the packaging mentioning the problems associated with certain breeds, Boxers included.
    You may very well be providing a service to this vet by shining a light on the subject that she wasn't aware of. If you were able to make her understand WHY you have valid concerns it may very well help her to be a better clinician as well as possibly helping another Boxer someday.
    Education is key and although we wish that all vets knew everything about every medication and illness they just don't nor will they ever.
    A good doctor knows their limitations and is always willing to learn. There is nothing saying that a pet owner can't or shouldn't shed light on certain things when they have their pets best interest at heart.
    Don't give up without a fight if you don't want to! (and I mean "fight" in a good way")

3. karens

karens Boxer Insane

Cami is right. My vet makes concessions for me all the time on their plolicies and such because I communicate with them about the care of my dogs. They know I am very involved and educate myself, so if there's a shot, a med or ACE that I don't want them to have, they are more than willing to work with me. Good Luck and let us know how it works out!

4. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Thanks for the advice. I actually had an article with me and showed it to her. She only took a quick look. She seemed very convinced that using Ace would be 100% safe for Sky and didn't offer any alternatives. I might go back there and try to talk to her again, especially if I can't find a better clinic and vet that I trust.

5. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

That was easy...

I went back to the vet today and talked to a vet tech and she said absolutely no problem, they won't use ACE on Sky. Big relief! Sky will get spayed a week from now.

6. kelseighgirl

kelseighgirl Completely Boxer Crazy

Im glad that your conversation went well with the vet tech. However, there are others that had went through great length with their vets, talking, making notes in the charts etc and found out after the surgery that ACE was still used. Please take the conversation with the vet tech today with a grain of salt. Even though you were "reassured" Im sure that others could share stories with you where they were "reassured" as well.
    I believe the dr doing the surgery is the one you are having the problem "convincing" that ACE is not a good fit with boxers. Please take your concern up with the dr again before the surgery....if you still have reservation than you may want to find a dr that doesnt need "convincing".

Good luck. grouphugicon

7. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

I was planning on talking to the vet the day of the surgery again to make sure they really won't use ACE. However, after the conversation today I feel that I can trust the clinic that they will take good care of Sky and follow my request not to use ACE.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  8. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I DEFINITELY would not let her go into surgery without speaking to the vet IN PERSON right before the surgery. I would even call her before then as well to explain to her that you've scheduled your dog for surgery but ONLY because the vet tech assured you that ACE would not be used, at all. No matter how well the conversation with the tech went, she is not the one in charge... even if she tries her best to argue your side, if the vet is still not convinced and wants to use ACE then that's the end of it. You need to make sure that the vet performing the surgery understands your wishes and is willing to use an alternative to ACE.

9. kelseighgirl

kelseighgirl Completely Boxer Crazy

Please read the post titled Another MCT surgery by haleyandmark..pg2.
    They never had a reason to feel uncomfortable about their vet either. I dont want to sound like the profit of doom or a brat but the last thing I want to read about is that another vet DID NOT listen to the owners concerns....did their own thing because "ACE is safe..we use it all the time" and another boxer was put at risk because of it.
    The only voice for your baby is yours....please please please have another talk with the vet. It was the vet who blew you off when you originally tried to show the article that you printed wasnt it??????
    If you are going to wait to have the conversation the day of the surgery....please be ready to walk out with your baby and no surgery if you are treated any less than you feel you should be. In the meantime I would start getting my ducks in a row by talking with other vets in the area just incase.

Best of luck that all goes well.

10. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Thank you for all the advice. I will definitely talk to the vet again. It is really scary that apparently a lot of vets just do whatever they think is best. I'm glad I found BW and educated myself. I would never do anything that could put my baby in danger and if that means that I really have to find a new vet and postpone the spay then so be it......

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.