homeowner's insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnamaraliwo

Boxer Booster
Hi,
We're getting our pup next month. Hurray! Unfortunately, I just got off the phone with my homeowner's insurance agent and they said that boxers were on their agressive dog list (the list also includes Kerry Blue Terriers, Dalmations, and Chesapeke Bay Retrievers...go figure). Anyway, the company will continue our insurance but will not add to it or re-write for us if we move. I live in Massachusetts and am at a loss to know what to do. The agent said this dog list is nearly universal in Massachusetts. Does anyone know a company that will insure a home in Massachusetts if you have a boxer? Help! Lizzie

DaleLuke

Boxer Booster
Hi Lizzie!

I also live in Massachusetts and have my homeowners insurance with Commerce Insurance Co...Our boxer passed away last month at 13 yrs old and we never had a problem with our company. I just called to re-check with them about having a boxer (our new puppy, Otto, will be coming hme on Saturday:D ) and they still say "no problem". Hope this helps, good luck! Dale

brianp66

Boxer Booster
homeowners insurance

I never new you had to inform your insurance company that you are getting a new puppy...sounds kinda crazy if you ask me, but anyway is that normal or just in some states...My parents have always had pets and never heard of them informing insurance companies of what pets they have or what breed they are

mcnamaraliwo

Boxer Booster
Daleluke,
Thanks for the info. I use commerce for my car insurance maybe they'll help me out.

I only made inquiries about insurance because we are refinancing and our policy is coming up for re-newal. I only asked casually and I was shocked at the answer.

Lizzie

M

MarleysMom

I'm with State Farm. I was asked about what kind of dogs I have - I told them - and they didn't say anything else about the matter, so I'm assuming that Boxers are OK on their list. Yeah, I don't agree with it, either. First of all, Boxers shouldn't be on that list! Second, I can see maybe paying a higher premium if you own an "aggressive" breed, but to totally exclude you because of the type of dog you own. That's just plain descrimination smashicon The insurance companies have to visit your house anyway in order to instate your insurance - they should have a pet interview, as well. You can't judge a breed in general, each is an individual.

mcnamaraliwo

Boxer Booster
Marley's Mom,
You are so right. I just can't believe that a boxer would be on this list. They won't even hear an argument...if you have a boxer you don't get a policy. I'm going to investigate commerce insurance because there is no way I'm staying with a company that discriminates against me because I want a boxer.

Lizzie

BRIDGIT

Completely Boxer Crazy
That link was interesting and since I work/sell insurance for one of the companies listed I can tell you that site it incorrect. It does not list boxers on there and we infact have boxers on our list. Maybe it hasn't be updated in a while?
Anyway, when someone calls for a quote if they have a dog is one of the fist questions I ask. Our policy is that if you currently have insurance here and get a dog on the "list" then it doesn't matter because you didn't have the dog at the time we wrote the policy. If you move to another home it still doesn't matter if you have the dog because we were already insuring the "risk" on your prior homeowners policy. BUT if you are new to the company you cannot have a dog on the "list." Very confusing I know but unfortunetly it's the way it is. I guess I am lucky that they haven't gotten really aggressive on this issue. I almost threw a fit when I saw boxers on the list though. I e-mailed a big boss and told him that I didn't agree with the companies policy and asked if he wanted to come to my house and meet my boxers because he would NEVER agree with them being on the list. He didn't really have much to say but agreed that it is unfortunate that they are on the list. (I think he secretly has a boxer himself):)

Good luck on finding a company. I know that there are companies without boxers on their "list" so you shouldn't have too hard a time finding one.

BRIDGIT

Completely Boxer Crazy
I see that the list was done July 2002 but at that time boxers were still on our "list." What is even stranger is on that site I don't see any company that has boxers as a breed on their list?

Loris

Boxer Pal
We went through three insurance companies when we bought our house, one of them being State Farm. They all have boxers on their list of aggressive dogs that they don't insure. The last one, who we went with (can't remember who they are b/c I don't pay the bill) said that Boxer's weren't on their list "yet" but would be added in the future, but it wouldn't affect people who were already covered.

Just an excuse to drop people, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.