homeowner's insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hemingway

We have Farm Bureau in Arizona. No problems. Then again Arizona is still kind of an "Wild West" type state. The reason boxers, pits, akita's, etc type dogs are on there is they can EASILY cause more damage than a toy poodle. Most dogs on this list will never hurt anyone or anything but the potential is there. If a kid gets clamped onto by a toy poodle a lawsuit will be minor. If a Boxer or Pit or any other large dog clamps down it is eay to see where a hand could be lost (or worse) and the POTENTIAL for a larger lawsuit is there. The insurance companies are CYAing and you really can't blame them. Liek someone else said Tort reform could work wonders.

mcnamaraliwo

Boxer Booster
According to my husband the lawyer, it depends on the requirements of your policy. All states are different. Some states more closely regulate the language of the policies. In Massachusetts we have standard language. We aren't requred to inform them of a new dog. Although every policy has language that you are not supposed to "unnecessarily increase the risk" to the insurer. We only got into this can of worms because we were renewing our policy and refinancing our house at the same time.

Lizzie

DixieDiana

Boxer Buddy
I had never heard of insurance companies wanting to know what kind of dogs you own. My insurance company never asked me....but then I have had the same insurance company for 20 years. Is this a fairly new practice?
I have had the agents come to my house periodically to check the wood stove liner, pipes ect. Because of course I have to pay a higher premium because I have a wood stove in my house :rolleyes: .
But, they have never said a word about my dogs, and I sure didn't hide them.

Everytime I get my annual renewal bill, it goes up for some off the wall reason, so nothing suprises me.

Status
Not open for further replies.