1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help in Colorado!!

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Slobber, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slobber

Slobber Boxer Pal

Well, there is an update, and not a good one, I'm afraid... I talked to the other dog's owner. She was extremely kind and sympathetic, but her vet did find wounds on her dog's neck and chest. Apparently, they were on the other side of the street (not even walking by our fence) which is where I found everyone. I have absolutely no reason to believe that she is being dishonest or has an agenda against my guy. Her dog is a mixed breed adopted from a local shelter.

Yesterday, I had him on a lead in the yard while I was watering plants. Another dog came by and he charged the fence so hard that he pulled me down. He got to the top of the fence, but not over (I managed to hold on to the leash). I am worried for him... I have absolutely no idea what to do. He completely ignores me when he starts to chase/track, and now when there is a 'foreign' dog. I think his prey drve is manifesting itself into this aggression toward other dogs.

2. Slobber

Slobber Boxer Pal

I have excellent news... Charlie is no longer in the predicament he is in. We had him evaluated by a behaviorist and he was deemed a balanced, happy and friendly boy. The ridiculous animal control in our city, however, will have none of it and still wanted him muzzled, leashed, confined. Our family friend has taken Charlie into her heart and home. She has another dog and the two are great friends (surprise, animal control!). As of now, it has been three beautiful and free-play filled weeks for Charles in his new home. My heart has been broken by this whole thing and I am now on track to bring attention to the lack of humanity in this system. There are so many heart broken people whise families have been devastated by this organization. Our local rescue has had four cases in the last month, all with the same plot. That's just our Boxer rescue... Ridiculous.

I am all for public safety and appreciate the effort to ensure that preventative actions are taken in terms of animal aggression. However, when you don't give a family a chance to defend their pet or enforce this mandatory one-size-fits-all deal? No... Dangerous animal, wow... Next, they'll be making dog parks illegal.

I'd really appreciate if this thread could be deleted. I am hoping to give Charlie a fresh start with a new name in a new town. My heart will always have an empty place where he once was.

3. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I am so glad Charlie has found a new home and is doing so well. I am so sorry your heart is broken.

One thing I would like to point out, and I am not trying to be contrary or upset you in anyway, is the implied contradiction of your last two paragraphs. You want to help change the laws but want to delete this thread. The only ways laws like these are going to change is to get the information out there. The best way to do is with discussions such as this thread. I realize you want to protect Charlie. As you have said he has a new name, so his new identity should be all the protection he needs.

I wish nothing but the best for you and for Cahrlie ad his new family.

4. Slobber

Slobber Boxer Pal

Pam, thank you. You did not at all upset me, you are completely right - I very much contradicted myself. I guess I am just nervous that the wrong person will read this, but the forums are rather private.

I miss my guy, I get so emotional and frustrated thinking about all this, half the time my thoughts make no sense and I suppose my writing follows. :) There is a silver lining to it all:Charlie is doing wonderfully well and our friends are just smitten with him. As for us, we were just yesterday able to adopt a six year old girl that was at our rescue for ten months and was losing her second foster home. I was so devastated over losing him that I've barely functioned for the last four weeks. Porsche is not only bringing the love and joy I so desperately need, but is helping me inch closer to feeling like I can, somehow, make a difference.

5. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Congrats on adopting your new girl, Porsche! She will never replace Charlie, but she will help fill the hole in your heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.