1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help in Colorado!!

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Slobber, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slobber

Slobber Boxer Pal

My three year old baby, Charlie, jumped the fence and ran after another dog while I was inside. The other dog's owner claimed that he bit her dog! There are no marks to prove this, and Charlie has NEVER hurt a fly before. I'm not sure if I even believe this woman... We just moved and I completely accept responsibility for Charlie getting out, but this purported bite has ruined his life!! They impounded him and labelled him as a potentially dangerous animal. I cannot walk him without a muzzle, he must be on a leash in our yard. I could write a book about all that has happened in the last four days. The one lesson is that animal control laws in our city do NOT protect dogs! I spent the first four days of this in tears. Now, I am angry.

I need to find him a new home away from here... He has become the black sheep of the neighborhood. We are under such scrutiny now (think digital cameras, constant neck craning, being ignored if I say hello) that I don't even want to be here! The fact that I cannot even play fetch with him outdoors is RIDICULOUS. Charlie is NOT dangerous! He has lived with us for 2.5 years, with our 4 kids and another boxer. He does chase bunnies, this is his one and only fault.

Please help me find him a new home outside of Centennial! I can be reached at xxxxxxxxxx (removed by moderator. Please read the rules well)
    Thanks

2. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

I wonder is there nothing else you can do?? Have his temperament evaluated or something? Although of course it sucks to have him leashed in the yard and walk him muzzled, I think those are things he and you could get adjusted to? Maybe you could set up a dog run in your yard? (obviously short enough so he could never strangle himself attempting to jump the fence again).

3. Slobber

Slobber Boxer Pal

Sabrina,

I asked our landlord if we could set up a dog run and I was told no. The problem is that I feel like this wouldn't be enough exercise for him. Walks are such a regular and important part of our routine. I also feel that, with a muzzle, he couldn't adequately control his body temperature. We have been having hotter than usual weather lately. Beyond this, our covenant community only allows a 5 foot fence on our street. We back out on to a relatively busy street with a lot of people walking their dogs. We got an invisible fence to add on to the current fence just as a precaution, but as I understand it, most dogs will ignore the shock if whatever it is they are after us valuable enough.

I love Charlie and I feel sorry for the predicament he is in. I don't understand why he did this. We walk regularly and he has never shown aggression before. I just don't get why he did what he did... I have no words to describe just how horrible this all feels. I am watching him closely, though. I have him on the leash and I take him outside for a minimum of 15 minutes out of every hour. I will post any updates.

4. Slobber

Slobber Boxer Pal

Sorry, I forgot to add... I have been researching laws and it's impossible to get the classification overturned in our jurisdiction, even with behavioral analysis. I called every place I could think of. I was told that, in another county, he would not be required to be muzzled and leashed in the yard. In our jurisdiction, yes.

5. joannaryan

joannaryan Boxer Insane

Maybe the move has made Charlie a little uneasy in a new place? Different enviroment? different people? and different noises? Maybe that is the reason for his behavior. Just give him a little time to get used to his new surroundings. Some people can be so ignorant! Good luck :)

6. Slobber

Slobber Boxer Pal

Joanna,

I can almost guarantee the same thing. The fault was ours in leaving him unsupervised in the new yard. I had been making it a point to be outside with the boys every time they went out, but my husband put them outside and left! Ugh!

I just don't understand the aggression. Other dogs have walked past the yard in the few days we were here and he'd bark and run along the fence, but he didn't try to leave or, much less, attack another dog.

I just wish I could turn the clock back...

7. joannaryan

joannaryan Boxer Insane

It probably wasn't aggression, boxers play rough and if you know anything about them, like your neighbor then that was probably the assumption that she made, and if Charlie had bitten her dog wouldn't you think that there would have been some damage? Did her dog have to be taken to the vet? or did she take it to the vet?

8. joannaryan

joannaryan Boxer Insane

One more thing...maybe you could just put off looking for a new home for Charlie, and after you and your neighbor have calmed down a bit try to talk out the situation and explain that maybe Charlie was just wanting to play and the stress of the move was a little much for him. Maybe make things a little better for you both. It might be worth the try :)

9. Slobber

Slobber Boxer Pal

Joanna,

All great tips... The problem is that animal control is involved and they are making the requirement for muzzle/leash. They will subject us to random home checks. If not reported by neighbors, we will be ticketed and criminally charged. If he stays with me, his microchip has to read 'vicious dog'. I've called the lady and she hasn't returned my call...

Now, I've had boxers for almost seven years... This IS how my guys play with each other and other boxers. I don't know what and how to do. I wish she would call me back...

rrboxer likes this.
  10. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Since you didn't see what happened, I wonder how much the other dog had a part in this. Arabella has charged a few dogs. She was never the one to make the first move. She reacted to the other dog coming towards her barking. She has never hurt another dog but twice she has pinned them down and had her mouth on their neck. She never bit down but made her point.

I would keep an eye out for the other dog and watch it's behavoir and how the owner handles it. It does not excuse Charlie jumping the fence, but I would bet it and it's owner aren't as innocent as they claiming to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.