Hello from Roanoke, Va! - Boxer Hopeful Here! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirdancealot

Boxer Pal
Hello everyone. My name is Justin and I'm here because. . . gee, I kind of like dogs! :) I was raised with two big Labs. One was a chocolate lab - Hershey. The other was a golden lab, Buttercup. I since have grown up, gone to college, and gotten married to my beautiful wife Jessica. We own our own home with a big fenced back yard that is lonely. Well, our 5 year old daughter, Taylor, roams it but could use a playmate!

Let's see, intro's, hmmmm. I'm 5'11, blonde hai, no? Not that kind intro? OH! Okay, well I'm an Information Technology Engineer and love tinkering on all things computer. Love extreme sports, motorcycles, my fam, and animals of any kind. We currently have a
2 mice - Cinnamon and Teddy.
1 Fish - Spaz
1 Beta fish - Pyro
2 cats - Sammy and Speedy (We found "Speedy" at a Raceway gas station.)
1 daughter ; D

Pleasure to meet everyone on here! I'll be posting soon because I'm looking into getting a boxer puppy to fill that void in our hearts but am scared of puppy mills and need advice. I don't want to inadvertently support them out of ignorance. L8r!

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
Welcome! The best way to avoid contributing is to rescue a homeless boxer in need - by checking local rescues, shelters, petfinder, etc. You can also check with local boxer clubs to see if they have a list of breeders they recommend. Many of us here made the mistake with our first pups by getting them from millers or back yard breeders - Without checking for health testing of parents, often resulting in losing our boxers early due to illness or disease that could have been eliminated with proper testing prior to litters being born. Just know to do your research and do right by your puppy and the boxer breed, there are rarely puppies available without a waiting list. Please stay shy of craigslist, newspapers, posts for puppies that are available.........most if not all of these pups are NOT from reputable breeders, nor will you have any recourse if that pup gets sick or ages with ongoing health issues.

sirdancealot

Boxer Pal
Thank you!

Welcome! The best way to avoid contributing is to rescue a homeless boxer in need - by checking local rescues, shelters, petfinder, etc. You can also check with local boxer clubs to see if they have a list of breeders they recommend. Many of us here made the mistake with our first pups by getting them from millers or back yard breeders - Without checking for health testing of parents, often resulting in losing our boxers early due to illness or disease that could have been eliminated with proper testing prior to litters being born. Just know to do your research and do right by your puppy and the boxer breed, there are rarely puppies available without a waiting list. Please stay shy of craigslist, newspapers, posts for puppies that are available.........most if not all of these pups are NOT from reputable breeders, nor will you have any recourse if that pup gets sick or ages with ongoing health issues.

Thanks to all the replies and for making me feel welcome on here! Great to be with people who share the same passion. :) Thanks for the information Lilylarue! Very helpful information indeed! My wife and I have been really going through every single puppy listing we could find for months now and have finally decided on a place to get our puppy from. We've called his veterinarian, spoke to local animal rescue, etc, etc. We have spoken to the breeder multiple times every week. They encouraged us to come visit as many times as we would like.

I am going to make another post asking for help with naming him! I'll post the link below. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.