1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaelic Registration name

Discussion in 'Naming your boxer' started by Ozarksparrow, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

Hi all,
    I just got word that my puppy Sirius is due on March 17th (St. Patrick's day) so while I want to give my puppy the call name of Sirius, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a Gaelic registration name that mentions Orion and Sirius because I have had several people who I have told that I am naming my boy Sirius, raise their brows and ask: "Is that after the Sirius of Harry Potter?" Now, I have no idea who that Sirius was as I was never that into Harry Potter. I am naming my Sirius after the legend of Orion the mighty hunter and Sirius; his faithful unto death dog. So since my pup is likely to be born on March 17th, can anyone help me with either a Gaelic or an Irish registration name for him?

Thanks everyone. I know I am jumping the gun a bit on thinking of names to register him under before he is even born.

Oh, and just on a side note....I am very excited. I got a fantastic new camera in preparation for bringing him home in May. This way I have time to learn all the controls on the new camera and this camera is awesome! Pictures will definitely be coming.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I like the name Sirius, but I don't think I would use it. It is not a very good call name. I have also heard that you shouldn't use the words that start with S as it sounds like you are hissing at your dog. They won't like it.

3. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

Hmm, I had never heard that before. I have considered Orion as an alternative call name before as well as Orion was a mighty hunter. Reminds me of Nimrod from the Bible. Also another mighty hunter.

4. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

5. TysonCheeto

TysonCheeto Completely Boxer Crazy

Oh my gosh!!! What a sweet story!! Shame on you making me all tear up like that... hehehe. I think when you find a name, it just pops out at you and its hard to think of any other lol. We have a puppy coming soon that's a week old today :) and the name we really like, my sister is using for her baby that's due in May....Lol...SO that's out!! She picked it first in all fairness lol.but it's really hard to get over it lol. So we have a few others that are in discussions but nothing that says "that's it!!!"

Sounds like you are so excited!! It's just like welcoming a baby home :) and I've had 3 human kids and its the same excitement ....adding a family member is always exciting...can't wait for pics!!!!!

6. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

Yes, I am! I'm probably going to make a big list of names and see which one ends up sticking to my new little one. I just got a new camera and have been learning the controls on that so there will be lots of pictures. I'd like a name for him that has a connotation of being loyal and fearless. I've considered finding several names that mean lion in one language or another. I'm not stuck on going with Sirius. It's just a name I really like.

7. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

Oh, what do you all think of the name Vormund? It's a german name meaning Guardian. My boxer is coming from a litter of german bloodline boxers. I could call him Vor for short.

8. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

Oooh, I just found one that I really like. Baran! It means Noble Warrior and it is Gaelic. :) What do you all think? Would that be a good one for my list?

9. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I like Baran. It's a good call name. It has a nice meaning too. :)

10. Thoven

Thoven Boxer Buddy

I recommend waiting until you see and meet the dog for the first time before you pick a name for it. I picked Shadow out because when he was with the litter he was almost solid black and he always went where one of the parent dogs went, hence Shadow.

Just throwing out some names that you might consider. Myself I like the Gaelic and Norse mythologies so I look at those first for names:

Geri - "ravener", one of Fiôlsvinn's dogs from Fiôlsvinnsmál, also the name of one of Óðinn's wolves.

Vala - "knucklebone", found as the name of a dog (Cleasby-Vigfusson Old Icelandic Dictionary s.v. vala p.675)

Vígi - "fighter, killer", King Óláfr's dog in Ólafs saga Tryggvasonar (part of Snorri Sturluson's Heimskringla).

Garm - The Norns are three goddesses equivalent to the Fates. Jormungand is the Midgard Serpent, the snake that is so large that it coils itself around the world. Gultop is the horse of Heimdall, the watchmen who will blow his horn at the arrival of Ragnarok (the doom of the gods).

Fenrir - Fenrir's brother is the Midgard Serpent. Talk about a strange family!( I always thought it was Fenris until recently)

Anyways, these are just some suggestions that I thought I would throw out. Hope you are able to find one that suits your needs :) Let us know what you decide on please :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.