1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future show prospect/foundation bitch

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by DianeD, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

I agree with pretty much everything said here. :)

As far as starting with a dog, and getting a foundation bitch from him - it's not uncommon. It's often easier for a novice to obtain a really good quality dog than it is a really good quality bitch. Getting the dog bred is sometimes difficult - though as you've noted, specialing can get him "out there" (if you have the considerable funds it takes!). However, often the dog's breeder will want to use him on one of their bitches, or will recommend him to someone who has a bitch from them, and you can opt for a second pick puppy from one of those breedings.

Regarding websites and flashy bitches available to show homes; there are still some breeders who automatically relegate plains to pet status. Plains are much more accepted these days than they were even five years ago, but it's still more difficult to finish a plain Boxer (though easier with a fawn than a brindle, and easier with a bitch than a dog - so your best bet there would be a plain fawn bitch :) ). I'll repeat, though - choose the best bitch regardless of color.

2. momstaxi

momstaxi Completely Boxer Crazy

Just curious... What exactly does finishing a dog mean? Does it have to do with the number of awards won? As you can tell I know nothing about showing. Thanks

3. DianeD

DianeD Boxer Booster

Thanks Julie, I'm starting to get it now. Say I opted for a dog as my first show prospect. He turns out to be awesome, finishing quickly. Would I be out of line by searching for a brood bitch to begin my line? I know that it is uncommon for a small kennel/breeder (reputable) to own both sire and dam (at least that is one of the warning signs to look for in a BYB) but if I began to look for a nice plain bitch puppy to show and eventually breed (after all of the testing, etc, etc), would a breeder work with me on that? Of course I must assume that the breeder would have to like my boy. Does this happen at all?

4. DianeD

DianeD Boxer Booster

It's when a dog acquires their championship in the conformation ring. I also knew nothing about showing a few years ago and I am still learning. I'm sure even the seasoned breeders learn something new every day!

5. momstaxi

momstaxi Completely Boxer Crazy

Thanks Diane and good luck with your dogs.

6. abby's mum

abby's mum Super Boxer

There are many reputable breeders that I know that own both stud and bitch. I don't think that would be odd. There are many other signs that to me mean BYB. I am sure if you explain your wants and needs with your mento/breeder they will assist you.

7. ktn67

ktn67 Super Boxer

Diane,

It's not unheard of for a reputable breeder to own both the sire and dam. But if you get a bitch to start your line with the thought that you will use your boy to breed with, you run into the problem of what if he's not what she needs??? There is practically no way to know as a puppy what conformationally she will need to compliment her as a breeding pair when that time comes. That's why it's uncommon for a breeder to have both sire and dam.

8. DianeD

DianeD Boxer Booster

Yes, that was what I was thinking about. Hmm, does the stud owner ever seek out another breeder's bitch to breed with? It's just the opposite right? The bitch owner seeks out a stud not vice versa, correct? Does it ever happen the opposite?

9. SoleilBxrs

SoleilBxrs Banned

Such an interesting topic! (thank you Diane for bringing it up ;) ) Anyways.. we may have opted for the screwy way to do things. For our 2nd pup, we were determined to get a girl w/ good show potential. We wanted to finish her, and if she passed all necessary health tests, breed her, and start our kennel from there. Lucky for us, in Nikki's litter, there were 6 girls for us to choose from. The "pick" was a boy, but our breeder would not let us have a boy, since we already had one.. so the pick of the girls was an equally beautiful PLAIN fawn bitch. OOH the dilema.. we had our hearts set on a flashy brindle girl.. and from the day we met Nikki (@ 5wks) we were in love. Nikki had a great body, real short back, good tail set, decent head, but her bite was lacking. We went w/ our heart, and took Nikki home anyways..

She has turned out to be quite the show girl, growing evenly, and her bite straightening.. and loves it in the ring. :D Our breeder and all the handlers agree that she is finishable, and that she has very good qualities, and a great "show attitude". We're working on those points now..

So my question is.. I know our breeder has a male that she finished a while back, and she wants to breed Nikki to him, once Nikki has finished, and passed her tests. We would love to keep a puppy to show and finish w/ our kennel name on it.. would you just pick whatever puppy is the best? or would you go for a male, or a female? color? flash? (i know this is getting ahead of myself, but it doesn't hurt to ask right? :rolleyes: ) If there are more than one show potential pups, i know we could place one close by, and show it also, but which of the 2 or whatever would we keep? (boys vs girls?)

thanks for letting me add my question.. which is kind of on topic? :LOL:

-Kat

10. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

It's not the norm for the stud owner to seek out the bitch. But, if you have a nice stud dog chances are nice bitches will be brought to him. You can always ask to have second pick instead of a stud fee to get your foundation bitch. It's not unheard of to start off with a male instead of a female...others have done just that.

Although...it is a bit riskier to start with a male instead of a female because if the male doesn't turn out, bitch owners will not want to use him so his chances of being bred will be very slim. If the female doesn't turn out, you can still breed her and try to improve. :)

Good questions Kat! And you're not getting ahead of yourself at all!! :)

I've been going over these same questions since we brought Ruby home. I've come to the conclusion that I'll be taking the best puppy (regardless of sex or color) unless for some reason Ruby's first litter results in me deciding not to breed her again. Then I'll want to keep the best female (provided I feel there is one worth keeping and breeding). But if all goes well and I still feel I will want to breed Ruby a second time, keeping a female from the first litter won't be a must. As of right now my main concern is getting my next dog to show. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.