1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog Shots!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by OlgaV, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlgaV

OlgaV Boxer Booster

I just received notification from my vet's office that my dog, Buster needs boosters of Corona and Parvo Virus vaccinations. Mind you he received all these shots in February. Is this a new thing with vets to try and get more money out of the owners? I have always had my dogs vaccinated once a year, why are they trying to give them boosters now?

I did call and they said that it wasn't necessary and I could wait until next year so it's kind of suspicious. Another thing is that some of my friends have been told that rabbies shots last 3 years and my vet says every year. What is up with all of this? Personally I think it is a scam to get us to pay.

I don't see any of this as necessary and think that it is all a way of the manufacturers of vaccines as well as vets profiting from us and I even wonder if too many vaccines are bad for the dogs.

2. mguiette

mguiette Boxer Insane

The only thing I have heard the same as you is that the rabies shots last 3 years, but I know with our city, you have to have them updated every year... sorry i couldn't be more helpful, this is a question for gmac, i think...:)

3. New Mom

New Mom Super Boxer

At the vet's office where I work, the combo shot - distemper/parvo/corona is given to adult dogs once a year. Puppies get a series of shots, spaced three weeks apart until they've had four rounds and then they go on a yearly schedule. It's very possible that the reminder dates simply got put into your vet's computer system incorrectly and the system automatically generated the reminder that was sent to you. (of course, this would NEVER happen at the office I work at, lol.)

As far as the rabies shot, some states allow three years and some require annual shots. To be sure, you can check with your local health dept. Here in TN, it is required annually.

I can only speak for the office that I work at, but as far as scamming people...well, it doesn't happen. The only thing we care about the the well-being of the pets. On a daily basis, we tell people what they need as well as what they DON'T need.

I have seen too many dogs die of things that could have been prevented and am a believer in the correct vaccines at the correct time. Parvo is not pretty!

Marilyn

4. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Do a search for Jean Dodds. She has a reduced vaccination protocol that every one should be aware of. There is also a book you can get on Amazon called "Stop the Shots" by John Clifton, a very interesting read that goes into detail about the different vaccinations and what they do. The book doesn't really tell you to stop the shots as the title suggests. I shows different reasearch and explains everything so it is easily understood. For $9 it is an awesome read. I am against vaccinations as a lot of people are, it is just something you need to research and form your own opinion on.

5. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

Most veterinary schools now recommend a 3 year cycle for most vaccines (but admit that immunity lasts longer than 3 years). Rabies vaccine rates are determined state by state, so you don't have much leeway there. In my state it's 3 years, but in many with severe rabies problems it's 1 year.

Corona virus vaccine is not recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association -- it is of NO USE in adult dogs and provides no protection whatsoever because it's only ever been proven to cause diarrhea in pups under 8 weeks of age. There's no scientific evidence that it makes older dogs sick at all, while the vaccine itself sometimes does.

If your vet is suggesting you vaccinate an adult dog for corona, I'd find another vet pronto. And parvo vaccine certainly isn't given annually (let alone every 6 months!)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.