Costco Dog food

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillys7

Boxer Booster
Has anyone looked into this at Costco...I can't remember the "name" of the food. I looked at the labels and there were no by-products or corn meal... Haven't tried it, but wondering if anyone else has...

totallyhip

Boxer Insane
My vet recommended to stay away from the food at Costco or superstore. We feed Luke Innova right now. I am thinking of switching to RAW tho.

If it's the Kirkland brand, then my breeder feeds her dogs that, and they look great! And all three living at her house are agility champions to boot, so she must be doing something right :D . We had Willis on that when we brought him home, but he was having some diarrhea issues with it, so we switched. However, we just saw his brother this weekend and he is on Kirkland still and doing just fine!

armyboot

Boxer Booster
Did some searching and found more interesting stuff

"****Thank you for your interest in Kirkland Signature, and for giving us the opportunity to respond to your question. It is true that the Diamond Pet Food Company manufactures the Kirkland Signature line of pet foods, on behalf of Costco Wholesale.

Important information to know is that Costco Wholesale is in full control oftheir Kirkland Signature formulations, and require the highest standards of quality. The palatability (taste) and digestibility (nutritional availability) standards are objectively tested on a quarterly basis,ensuring that Kirkland Signature exceeds the quality of the leading super premium brands, Iams and Science Diet.

With regard to comparing the Kirkland Signature Lamb Meal & Rice to
Diamond's own Lamb Meal & Rice brands, the following are some notable
differences in the formulation:

1. Kirkland Signature Lamb Meal & Rice utilizes a significant amount of egg and fish protein, complimenting the protein contributed by lamb meat. Not only does this approach provide for a more balanced amino acid profile, it also improves the digestibility. This is because of the egg protein, which
is considered by pet food nutrition experts as being the highest quality protein available for a dog--the benchmark standard for comparison. The only downside to egg protein is its considerable expense. However, we believe the nutritional value it brings to the dog far outweighs its cost. And, since we purchase our pet foods direct from the manufacturer with minimal markup, we are able to deliver a more expensive recipe at a lower price.

2. Secondly, Kirkland Signature utilizes a unique flavor system that
guarantees acceptance and satisfaction. It creates an eating experience for the pet that can be accurately described as superior to what a pet would
experience eating Iams or even Eukanuba's Lamb product, foods that are priced considerably higher than Kirkland Signature.

I hope this information helps you evaluate our Kirkland Signature foods. We work hard to bring the very best value to our Members, and are committed to keeping those expectations at the highest level."

I can't find the ingredients list though. I remember getting a Costco catalog a while back and thinking the ingredients really weren't that bad.

My GF actually feeds this to her three dogs and they really seem to like it. She can't afford to feed all three a super premium food, and Costco seems like a nice middle of the road alternative.

lillys7

Boxer Booster
It is Kirkland...I knew it started with a "K"... doesn't sound bad...maybe we'll give it a try...

magoo's_mama

Super Boxer
Kirkland Brand lamb and rice Ingredients:

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved witn mixed tocoperols and Vitamine E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, milet, brewers dried yest, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E suppliment, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bivulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 23% minimum
Crude Fat 14% minimum
Crude Fiber 4% maximum
Moisture 10% maximum
Zinc 200mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin A 15000 IU/KG minimum
Omega-6 fatty acids 2.2% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4 % minimum
Glucosamine HCl not less than 300 mg/kg
Chondroitin sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg

kassa

Boxer Insane
It's better than I expected, but you have to look at the top ingredients together and see what they're doing, which is a practice called splitting.

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice,

Now, since labels must list food by volume, that looks like Lamb and lamb meal are the top two ingredients in volume, which is good. Except the next three are rice. Taken together, those three rice products probably outweigh the lamb and lamb meal in the diet -- by breaking them down into different ingredients, they can list them separately and move the meat sources up higher. It's a common trick, though one usually done with corn in the cheaper foods.

lillys7

Boxer Booster
For a big bag it is under $20 if my memory serves me correctly...that is one reason I am so interested in it... If I can pay half of what I do now for the same size bag and it's ingredients are goods then it's kind of silly not to. I knew that by-produnts and corn meal were two things you don't want in food but that's the extent of my knowledge... so I wanted to make sure before I got it. Thank you to everyone that helped...I really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.