Constantly licking feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcbobo

Boxer Buddy
Our puppy (7 Mo old) is constantly licking his feet, all four of them. He has always done this and we just try to get him to stop and move on but it's starting to get rather annoying and I'm getting worried he might have an OCD issue. He will lick his paws until they look all red and raw in between the pads. He will lay in his kennel at night and lick his feet like it is soothing to him. Wondering if anybody has this same issue with their dog?

brodieboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
What are you feeding your dog? Many boxers cannot tolerate a grain inclusive kibble, especially one with corn, wheat, and/or soy in it. He sounds like he has a yeast problem on his feet - a complication of allergy.

I'd recommend slowly changing (over a period of at least 2 weeks - you don't want to upset his tummy) to a grain free kibble. If you're already feeding one, try changing the protein source. I have a westie mix with the same problem, and I had to get a potato free, chicken free alfalfa free kibble before she started getting better. I feed her California Natural Salmon Meal and Peas (an LID - Limited Ingredient Diet). It took lots of trial and error before I found a kibble that helped her. Hopefully your pup will be easier to figure out.

Another thing that may help him recover is to start adding organic extra virgin coconut oil to his food - I get mine at Vitamin Shoppe. It has antifungal, antibacterial, and digestive aid properties in it. The dosage is a teaspoon per 10 pounds, but don't give the full dose all at once - it might cause tummy upset. You have to add it in gradually - I divide up my westie mix's dose into her two daily feedings, so as not to give too much at once.

jcbobo

Boxer Buddy
We feed him Taste of the wild puppy food. They only have one flavor at tractor supply for puppies. He gets the blue buffalo wilderness grain free dog biscuits for a treat when it's time to kennel up. He has bad gas as well, we notice it gets much worse when he chews on toys/bully stick/rawhide bone/etc....

I don't even know where to begin if we changed up his good. He seems to really like his taste of the wild food. And he will go anything for those wilderness biscuits. I've thought the biscuits are whats giving him the gas but I have yet to find another grain free dog biscuit that isn't crazy ridiculous in price.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Gas is a sign of food intolerance as well, and the chews you listed, rawhide and bully sticks, are primarily beef products. After going on line and seeing the TOTW puppy food that Tractor Supply carries is the High Prairie which is bison and venison based. All of those are closely related. I would switch the protein source. Since your dog is 7 mo's old you should be weaning off the puppy food anyway. TOTW has the Pacific Stream which is fish based and I would try that one first. If that doesn't work I would to the wetlands next.

Roge

Boxer Insane
I would say its a yeast infection, There are a good few tips online to help ease the itching which are simple to do and will help but I think you may need to change food as it does stem from an alergy, also try a table spoon of proboitic natural yoghurt to help with inforcing good bacteria.

angleheart

Completely Boxer Crazy
Could be allergy. Could be food, could be grass. Our boy Gino was allergic to 6 or 8 different grasses.

Poetic_thing

Boxer Insane
I would suggest adding coconut oil to his meals, start with 1 tsp and work up to 4-6. Coconut oil is antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal. I would also suggest getting a probiotic in pill/powder form as this will greatly help with gas, yeast, breath, overall immunity - this with a quality food. I have been through this with a couple of my dogs as has my niece with her dog and we both have had great success. Good luck.

Nicos mom

Boxer Booster
Another idea for you

Hi there - We adopted an itchy boxer last year who will be 4 in Feb. We have tried everything under the sun, and still he itches. Sometimes it gets better, then it returns. For most of our time with him he would get so sensitive, that he quivered when he was just touched. He didn't enjoy being loved on, and that was really hard for me!

We have been seeing a holistic vet for a few months because we didn't want to have him on Pred and other drugs for the rest of his life. His coat does seem to be improving, albeit slowly. I would second the plan to give your puppy probiotics and digestive enzymes. Coconut oil, too. If he likes the taste, use it for a treat - that's what we do, Nico loves the stuff. But here is something to consider, and I know it adds substantial costs if it turns out to be right: Take him completely off kibble. Just try it. We were giving Nico a half cup of kibble with his raw food to help defray the costs of the raw food. We tried every high-end limited ingredient kibble out there. HOWEVER. We decided one day to just stop the kibble to see what would happen. He still itches, BUT he is no longer sensitive to the touch. We can pet him and rub his belly and no more twitching! The other thing is that he rarely has gas any more. On the kibble, he was a fart monster, I mean, many times a day of very rank farts!

You could try canned food for a bit or raw, transition slowly, but I would consider at least trying it. You have nothing to lose, and if he stops chewing his paws, it may be worth it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.