1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chondrosarcoma and MCT

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by karens, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karens

karens Boxer Insane

My six year old boxer Myles was diagnosed today with Chondrosarocma on in front shoudler and he had a subcutaneous MCT removed as well. I searched the board and was surprised there were no results for Chondrosarcoma.

Has anyone had any esperience with partial bone removal?

This spot blew up in a matter of days, along with an MCT. They were unable to get all the margins. I am very concerned about his quality of life and what to put him through.

He has had allergies and IBD since he was about a year and a half. I am very concerned that an MCT would show up that rapidly and yet they couldn't get the margins.

I would welcome the opportunity to hear about yoru experiences.

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

So sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis.
    I don't know much about chondrosarcoma except that it isn't a cancer that oncologists utilize chemo for. I guess there isn't any type of protocol YET for this type of cancer. Radiation may be used with some positive results.
    It most often occurs in the nasal cavity and it is a common affliction of Boxers and other medium to large breeds.
    As far as prognosis goes I guess you would need to know which type of chondrosarcoma you are dealing with (pathology report will have this info as well as further info on the MCT).
    Consider joining the canine cancer yahoo group.
    I have no doubt you will find others there with similar diagnosis.

3. karens

karens Boxer Insane

Thanks Cami, I did join the yahoo board. Most of what I saw were posts for the more common nasal area that this cancer affects.

They don't rate the subcu MCTs, but they would call it the equivalent of a grade 2. I've never had issues with 800 MCTs I've removed off my boxers over the years.

It's a matter of putting him through a massive surgery and at what cost to him and the success rate in boxers. I don't know if it's spread anywhere.

They have done xrays and don't see anything, but that means nothing to me along with blood tests that never show anything. Cancer lurks in this breed secretly as we all know too well. Sucks to be me! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.