1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change in behavior

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by presley101, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. presley101

presley101 Completely Boxer Crazy

My daughter works at stacking Baron every other day for her own learning purposes. She eventually would like to show and possibly try with him next month. He does great for me and walks straight into a nearly perfect stack. Have you ever had a male dog that sort of gets skiddish when someone else tries to work with their back legs?

2. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

It might be worth talking to an experienced handler (or jr handler) for some tips. Has your daughter gone to handling class?

If what you mean by "skittish" is that he moves his leg as soon as it's put in position, it's perfectly natural for a dog to resist this, especially if it's not done in a calm, authoritative way. If you mean he doesn't like having a stranger that close to him, that's something you'll want to work on before she takes him in the ring, as the judge will get quite close and you don't want her to be embarrassed or the dog to have a bad experience that sets him up to expect the process to be unpleasant.

A capable handler will be able to tell you if it's a training issue or a temperamental issue. It might just require lots of practice in different places -- what the dog tolerates in the livingroom will be different from what it will tolerate outside or in a strange building with other people/dogs around.

A good handler will teach the dog that the reward for standing still is more fun/liver/praise, etc., and soon the dog will just CHOOSE to comply because it's what's expected as part of this activity.

I did have a gal named Lily, however, who I called the Hokey Pokey dog, because she racked up a lot of Reserve Winner ribbons by moving one foot out JUST as the judge looked at her for the 3rd or 4th time, trying to decide between her and another bitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.