Cadet Bully Sticks had BUGS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
Ick! I am gagging as I type this... I did a little Christmas shopping online for Thora last week and among the things I bought were a bunch of bully sticks. The website I was on had a bunch of sales and some were individually wrapped and some were in packs. One of the products I ordered was a bag of 12 inch Cadet brand Bully Sticks in a 10 pack. The package arrived last week and I put it away in my closet to be wrapped at a later date because Thora was going bonkers when I opened the box. Well last night I took the box out of my closet with intent to wrap presents and when I took the plastic bag of Bully's out there were black LARVAE all over the bag crawling around!!! I didn't even get a close look at the bugs because I almost threw up right there and hubby took the bag outside. There must have been a hole in the bag because one of the nasty little beasties fell out onto my carpet and I spent the next half hour scouring my closet for bugs. Bully's have a "natural" smell so I didn't put any thought to the odor but those bugs seriously grossed me out! Has anyone else ever experienced this? I immediately called the company I bought them from and they are going to make note of the incident. I tried to look up Cadet brand and I see the bully's come from Brazil? Wish I thought to look at that sooner. I don't think bully sticks go through any kind of treatment process and are supposed to be all natural, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but aren't these things baked to rid them of parasites???
Ick ick ick ick!!!

Cami

Boxer Insane
Seeing how there was a hole in the bag I would suspect that the parasite capable of laying eggs (or whatever transpired) got INTO the bag, not CAME with the bag. Could be wrong though!!
Had they been in the bag to begin with and it was sealed (air-tight) they wouldn't have been able to "reproduce"....at least one wouldn't think so?
I had something just as gross happen a couple of weeks ago.
Hubby had picked up multiple acorns that he was going to plant.
He gave me one that was totally huge that he wanted me to look online to see what kind of oak tree it might have came from. It sat on the top of my desk for a week or so.

I have to say that I DON'T DO BUGS. AT. ALL. EVER.

I was at the computer and something touched my shirt sleeve near my wrist. I felt it and then looked down.....it was some sort of wormy-larvae-type thing. I freaked the hell out. Spent a good 30 minutes inspecting my ceiling for more (I mean did they friggin fall out of the sky)?
I nearly took my ceiling fan apart and I don't know why. It was overhead but not to where this thing could have flew to my wrist!

I finally gave up after freaking out. An hour or so later I was at the computer again.....SAME THING HAPPENED. I mean seriously? Is this the end of the world? Am I being punked?

I stand up....freaking out all over again and something catches my eye....it was the ACRON....it was moving. Good grief they came out of it.
I made some huge production out of getting rid of that thing. I probably used like 15 zip-lock bags to house it in and then threw it in the trash in the garage. G-R-O-S-S times 100.

I won't even get into how we are dealing with stink bugs. :LOL:

FYI.....I don't buy anything made from Cadet....(IMS Trading Corp) who does a lot of its manufacturing in CHINA. The product may have originated in Brazil but I'll bet money it found its way to China in some fashion. Just my opinion though. Too many recalls for my taste with this company.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
:LOL: Great visuals Susi. That's one gross acorn you had there! You are probably right about the bag with the hole. I didn't think of it that way (I thought maybe the bugs put the hole in the bag lol). Bully sticks are so darn expensive so when I saw the deal I grabbed it, along with a bunch of individually wrapped ones and some antlers. We rely on treats like this to help keep Thora's teeth clean because she is impossible when it comes to brushing her teeth and I can't see knocking her out for a teeth cleaning unless she's already getting another procedure done. We had to stop giving her soup bones because she was getting an upset tummy the morning after we'd give her one. The upset tummy problem stopped almost entirely when I stopped giving her soup bones which sucks because they were cheap. I started giving her probiotics again too (but after we discontinued the bones). Anyways, I'm going to be more mindful about where the bullys I buy come from. In related news, I was just informed that the USDA is now going to allow the sale of chicken processed in China in the USA!!! Hellllloooo avian influenza!

Roge

Boxer Insane
YUK!!!!! that turned me off my lunch..
Happened to me with a leg of lamb a few years back.. Cooked it for Sunday lunch ,left it on the table while we were eating ,wrapped it up and into the fridge took it out the next day to make lunch and as I was cutting near the bone I saw little white wriggly things well I can tell you the knife went flying I was screaming poor DH came running in and thought I had cut my finger off , boy I lost the plot. all I can think of is that unknown to us a fly must have landed on it when It was on the table (aprox 30 mins ) and laid eggs but how they hatched in the fridge is beyond me.. So guess what ??? I don't eat lamb any more ,,

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
:LOL: I had a similar thing happen to me with pistachios... found a larvae in one while cracking the shell. Haven't had one since and that was years ago haha. Sorry if I killed anyone's appetite- let it be a lesson to anyone who orders bully sticks or other natural product to inspect them carefully!

starzNJ

Boxer Booster
:LOL: I had a similar thing happen to me with pistachios... found a larvae in one while cracking the shell. Haven't had one since and that was years ago haha. Sorry if I killed anyone's appetite- let it be a lesson to anyone who orders bully sticks or other natural product to inspect them carefully!

I had the same thing with a bag of pistachios from Costco. They were the salt & pepper seasoned ones. Just about 1 out of 10 nuts had roasted larvae inside.

Needless to say I stopped buying those, and just stick to the pre-shelled ones now. I can't tell you how many I ate without even looking; ick, I can't even think about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.