Anyone see Primetime about the Presa Canario dogs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Boxer Insane
Did anyone see the Primetime report last night about the Presa Canario dog that attacked the woman in San Francisco?

Here's a link to the story in case you missed it: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/primetime/2020/PRIMETIME_010208_dogattack_feature.html

I was just wondering what other people's responses and reactions are to this situation. It is such a bizarre story and so many questions. I have an opinion, but may be way off base.

I understand the media tends to "mold" a story to present the side it wants to. I wonder what facts are being left out.

It think it is just a horrible, horrible tragedy! :mad: That poor, poor woman. :(

sandy oakey

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi Linda,

I watched the show. I had never heard of these type of dogs before but they didn't look to gentle and loving. Just judging from what I saw on the show, it didn't seem as though the owners were prepared to take much responsibility for the tragedy. Trying to blame perfume, etc. seemed a little weak to me. I guess they didn't know what was going to happen with the other dog yet but I sure wouldn't want to live in the same apartment building with the dog. I definitely don't think an apartment building is the right home for that kind of dog. Its a very sad story:(

Kindra

Boxer Buddy
I live in the bay area and last night they were holding a meeting to decide if they were going to pass a law saying all big dogs must wear muzzles in San Fran. I missed the outcome of this meeting, but I can't imagine this would pass. People are saying making dogs wear muzzles might make them aggresive.... I don't know about you, but I know my two would not be happy wearing one. It's sad that a few bad owners have to ruin it for the many good ones.

Linda

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by Kindra
I live in the bay area and last night they were holding a meeting to decide if they were going to pass a law saying all big dogs must wear muzzles in San Fran. I missed the outcome of this meeting, but I can't imagine this would pass. People are saying making dogs wear muzzles might make them aggresive.... I don't know about you, but I know my two would not be happy wearing one. It's sad that a few bad owners have to ruin it for the many good ones.

Oh that is terrible! I agree with you, it's not fair to let a few "bad apples" spoil it for everyone.
I hope that doesn't pass either. :mad:

Generally these are isolated incidents and it's not fair to blame every canine!
This case is so weird to me.

I *wonder* if it wasn't a deliberate "hate crime." The inmate who started the money-making scheme to breed these dogs is a white supremist. Just seems a bit fishy to me.

Kindra

Boxer Buddy
I agree with you... the whole thing is just too fishy. I've been talking to a lot of people about it... and we all agree that the owners of the dogs, who just happen to be lawyers, are up to something. They have been doing tons of interviews and press conferences.... we think they are doing this so they can call a miss trial, saying that they couldn't get a fair trial because of all the media hype. I don't know if this is true, it's just all so weird.

E

Elsa

Originally posted by Linda
I *wonder* if it wasn't a deliberate "hate crime." The inmate who started the money-making scheme to breed these dogs is a white supremist. Just seems a bit fishy to me.

It took me a minute to piece together the white supremist inmate who was the originator of the scheme and the information about the victim; it does seem a little too coincidental. I agree with Sandy in that an 800 square foot apartment is no place for a dog like that. They knew what those dogs were bred and intended for and what they were capable of yet kept them in an apartment in a heavily populated area.

It is horrible the way the victim died; I cannot imagine. In reading that story, I also came to the conclusion that a law degree does not exempt you from ignorance.

Do you really think the people who housed the dogs are going to get what they deserve? Of course not. But if they were another class of people they would, without a doubt, be prosecuted to the fullest extent allowed.

Lava Linda

Completely Boxer Crazy
No muzzle ordinance

I just read in the newspaper that the proposed muzzle ordinance in San Francisco was voted down by the animal commission yesterday. Good news, but the knee-jerk responses of lawmakers sure are scary.
My Gilroy was accused of biting someone last summer. I absolutely believe the claim to be false for many reasons, including her husband saying in so many words that it was false, that "My wife just gets excited sometimes." There were beer cans in her car's cupholders, and her first words were, "Who's your insurance company?" She said she was bitten "under her shorts" and couldn't show me, then reported to the police that the bite was on her calf. Four eyewitnesses to the dog scuffle that prompted it, told me she wasn't bitten. I could go on, and I know any dog CAN bite, but please believe me, it was a false report. But there it is, on his record. These "quick fix" laws or "one strike" laws scare the heck out of me.
:(

Brindle Jax Dad

Boxer Buddy
The breeder of one of those dogs lives close to me. There was an article in the local paper about him over the weekend.

He said it didn't take long to realize the people he sold the pup to were up to something fishy. The buyer said they wanted a dog for "a recluse artist living in the woods". Well he paints...but he lives in a penetentiary in a forest. He claims he didn't know the dogs would be trained for killing.

He also claimed he has stopped selling pups...but believes this incident will creat a lot of demand for more of these pups!

Linda

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by Brindle Jax Dad
The breeder of one of those dogs lives close to me. There was an article in the local paper about him over the weekend.

He also claimed he has stopped selling pups...but believes this incident will creat a lot of demand for more of these pups!

I think that guy was on Primetime briefly too.
This is REAL scary that this kind of incident would create a "demand" for this breed of dog. I sure hope they don't become a popular breed.
From what I saw on this program, this breed has no place in society. It has all of the traits of an accident waiting to happen. :mad:

crabby69

Super Boxer
Deadline Discovery

I don't know if I saw the same show everyone else did but the one I saw last night also had story about a guy in Texas who raises pit bulls for fighting. He says, "they aren't good for anything else, you can't teach them to do anything but fight". He also said, "I'm not a violent person. I would walk 10 miles to keep myself out of a fight but I would walk 20 miles to LET my dog fight."

The footage they showed from one of these fights was horrifying. Then he actually had the nerve to say, "most of the time these dogs don't even get holes in them. The average dog can't puncture the skin of another dog." (But what about a human's skin?) Then the show cuts back to the dog fight and shows his 'Champion Playboy' bleeding profusely about the neck. This guy is a backwoods, hick, in-bred that doesn't have the minimum of two brain cells it takes to make a spark!

If these dogs are not drawing blood, exactly how are they 'fighting to the death' you ask? Well, according to the report, the loser is often killed by his owner right there in the pit after the fight is called. It may sound like mercy but it isn't. After all, any dog who can't win a good pit match is not worth feeding and hauling around.

As for the Presa Canario attack in San Fran, what really scares me is that the owners of these dogs are lawyers! I'm sure they have the where-with-all to make this whole thing the victims fault and who knows, maybe they can sue the state for destroying their animals and get paid the big bucks for it. Hopefully people in the area will see these people for what they are and decide not to avail themselves of their services. Of course there are still plenty of neo-nazi idiots out there who would love to have lawyers just like these two people.

I had disturbing dreams last night after watching this show. It was called Deadline Discovery and was on the The Discovery Channel. After the night I had last night, I just needed to vent.

Leta
Mother to Clio, flashy fawn, natural eared, too smart to fight female with sox.

Status
Not open for further replies.