ACL Stifle Brace

vetstudent

Super Boxer
My almost 12 year old girl has torn her ACL. Unfortunately, due to cost and other health issues, surgery is not an option. Has anyone had any luck with a stifle brace? I have 15 years vet tech experience, and know that the success rate of a brace is very low. I don't expect it to fix her, just give her some stability and make her more comfortable. I cannot afford $800 for a brace, but don't expect to get one for super cheap either. Which ones do you recommend?

msnitsirk

Boxer Booster
First of all, I'm very sorry to hear this and I totally agree that surgery on a 12 year old boxer is not an option. Have you considered or ever heard of the "gofundme" site or others like it? I am very new to these type of sites myself but they do seem to help and draw some funds if you can get the word out. I am not sure if these sites are against boxerworld forum rules so I apologize in advance if they are, but at the same time, they are a way to raise money for your girl. (Boxerworld moderators, please just scold me and delete this post if I'm out of place, not my intention)

Thatcher

Boxer Pal
My boxer tore her ACL when she was 2 and struggled with whether to get surgery. I opted not to do it for cost but also because I didn't think I could keep her crated for 6 months post surgery. Instead I kept her as contained as possible. Not letting her jump up on beds or couches and not letting her run off leash. I also started giving her dasaquin tablets daily. Happy to report that she walks without limping, runs and jumps and is a spry 7 Year old. I think it helped her recovery since she was young and I started her on dasaquin so early. She is developing arthritis in her hips and knees which is normal for her age.