1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acclimating your dog to a Gentle Leader (LONG)

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by Kim Y, Aug 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSUHeather

PSUHeather Boxer Booster

Smitty, you may want to try getting a very long lead so that you can get distance between yourself and the dog without losing complete control. Eventually you can get to the point where you are not holding the lead, and then maybe without it. Dogs are really good discriminators, and she may think that "come" is only applicable for dogs that are on leash. =) Also, she may enjoy a good game of chase. Be careful not to reward the behaviors you are trying to eliminate.

2. ROMMEL'S MOM

ROMMEL'S MOM Boxer Buddy

If someone wants my Gentle Leader, I'll mail it to you.

I have a GL that someone may have for free. I tried it on Rommel and he scratched himself in the face so bad, I couldn't take it. I followed the steps and he just didn't adjust.

Rommel would virtually chike himself on walks and it wasn't pleasent for me either, being pulled. And as he got older and stronger, FORGET IT!

Anyway, for those of you who want to go a different route, I got a harness that works great. The front legs go thru these 2 loops and it crosses the chest and buckles on the upper back.

Rommel loves it. It's comfortable for him and he knows to put one foot in at a time. It's really cute. When he sees it, he gets really excited because he knows we're going for a walk or a ride in the car. It also doubles as a safety belt in the car.

I use it everyday!! So, like I said, if someone wants a gentle leader, you can have it free.

Marylouise

3. Putermom

Putermom Boxer Booster

I sent you a pm! :)

4. nmarlin

nmarlin Boxer Buddy

From what i've heard the GL is extremely hard on the dogs neck, if you are walking and the you come in contact with another dog or something that makes your dog scared and they try to run, the GL will give them a nasty head jerk.

5. SOBE

SOBE Boxer Booster

There is a new product out there now, harness type that hooks the leash to the FRONT of the harness, not the back. Dog does not pull you like a sled dog in the Iditirod, dog just wonders what the heck is stopping me now type of action.... works well with my boxers, but hard to fit and not sure I have them tweeked as meant...good alternative for head halter (one of the head halter people also make the new harness) I have two different brands, one has a Lupine type front that I like to reduce the extra "space", but I still would like to see one made for the boxer type body habitus...they REALLY DO WORK for the pulling dog. (actually one of my dogs pulls less when she is not on it, maybe it is just the hot weather!!!) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.