1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acclimating your dog to a Gentle Leader (LONG)

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by Kim Y, Aug 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JillE24

JillE24 Boxer Buddy

I bought a GL for Laila (6 months) a while ago, but just started her on it for real last night when we got home from our first basic obedience class. She hates it, but she pulled so hard on the leash last night, that I had painful red hands when I got home. Part of the reason I haven't used it on her is because I know people will think it's a muzzle. But after last night, that's just something I'm going to have to deal with. She looks so depressed when she has it on, but I know she'll get used to it, just like the regular collar. And she is so much better on it already, even tho she looks so pathetic. ;)

People that have had success with it - how long have you used it before switching back to a regular collar and/or only using it sometimes?

Thanks!
    Jill :)

2. chiro972

chiro972 Boxer Pal

How do you put moleskin on the nose harness? Zoey does great with hers (although she hates it and sometimes refuses to go potty with it on) But the nose strap has worn the hair away across her snout. It is plenty loose around her nose, but she has a constant worn away spot in her fur there.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

The Moleskin is sticky on one side (at least, the type we can get is), so you just wrap it around the strap. :)

Sharon

4. robynkendall

robynkendall Super Boxer

I called Premier asking about the GL for short snouts. She told me that what they do is sew a strip from the nose to the neck part. Right between the eyes! I would think that would be even more irritating! I'm not going to order it, I will just go with the regular GL. Just wondered if anyone else has done this??

Also Sharon...where do you get the moleskin?? They don't seem to stock it at the WalMart here :)

Robyn

5. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

I've purchased the moleskin from stores that stock things for shoes (have no idea what you would use it for on a shoe, but that is where we get it here). Actually got the last lot at KMart.

Have not seen the GL with the strap over the head - does not sound that great really.

Shamless plug for BLACK DOG HEAD HALTERS. I've not met a Boxer they did not fit nicely. They are an Australian product, but will ship oversears. Website is: http://www.blackdog.net.au/halters.html

Sharon

6. robynkendall

robynkendall Super Boxer

Thanks for the info Sharon.
    I didn't like the way the GL fit, and went with the Halti. The Black Dog Halter interested me, and if I weren't so impatient I would have ordered it.
    I have to say that any of the halters are so much better than a regular collar! I can finally take my dog for a walk without losing an arm...

7. lisabethshaw

lisabethshaw Boxer Booster

Thank you!

We've used a leader before, but it was not adjustable (a halti) and once Brutus figured out he could take it off we had to stop using it. I was thrilled to hear about the adjustable gentle leader. Our puppy Shiva is a completely new dog! He even stopped wanting to jump on strangers since we've been using it. (Imagine that!) Thanks once again.

Lisa

8. zetasmom

zetasmom Boxer Pal

My girl hates it

I can't get my Zeta to stop pawin' at it... I put it on her and she flipped out... I kept trying to get her attention, but nothing seemed to work. I need to get it or something else to work because she always pulls me around and is about to knock me down half the time. Really she walks me and she likes it that way haha!

9. smitty3335

smitty3335 Boxer Pal

set free

hello all... my wife and I have a female almost six months old and seem to be doing ok with her on a leash however when we release to go for a run all she has learned seems to have been completely forgotten. We need some sort of a STOP and COME command that she'll adhear to when off the lead. What have we done wrong? this dog is gone when set free!

10. nikemama

nikemama Boxer Booster

I have ordered one on e-bay

I was wondering are most of you using the normal type and also a Med or Large???

I ordered her a medium standard type. Now I am having second thoughts. I saw someone using it on his pit pup. I hope that Jenna will do well with hers. She walks on a leash good in the yard but when we get out away from the house and she starts seeing people she looses her little mind. She is also out of hand with my 11 year old son. She thinks he wants to play tug of war with her lead. How old is too old for first training classes. I had a Hysterectomy shortly after we got her and I never got around to get her trained. She has had some home training but not everything she really needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.