4Health Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMyLoki

Boxer Buddy
Just a heads up...
My local tractor supply stopped carrying the food, says its being discontinued. (not recalled)
This really stinks, i finally found a good food that Loki loves and i dont feel like im throwing away money on.
I was able to buy some online from their website, had to buy 3 bags of it to get free shipping, but best to have it now.
Next time i get another $100 ill order 3 more bags, just so i have some for backup until i can find something else that is comparable both in quality and price.

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I had tyson on that. Same manufacturer as TOTW. Which is what I have Arabella on, TOTW. Diamond being the manufacturer just scares me :( not to mention she has the worst gas ever (lol) I order from chewy, wish now I would have bought the smaller bag, instead of the largest!!! But I'm looking into others, holistic select or Fromm are the runners up...it will be one or other for sure. little stinker has to be on grain free which is more expensive with Fromm, but I constantly worry when the next recall will be with diamond. I'm just over the stress of it lol. That's the only thing I would caution with buying in bulk of that food, they do seem to have a lot of recalls. Other then the manufacturer being famous for recalls it was a good food. Tyson did well on it as well. And arabella loves totw fish blend but between the gas and the worry, I just can't do it anymore!! The food merry-go-round.......I think ive spent more time on that research then anything!!!

Bathel

Super Boxer
I had tyson on that. Same manufacturer as TOTW. Which is what I have Arabella on, TOTW. Diamond being the manufacturer just scares me :( not to mention she has the worst gas ever (lol) I order from chewy, wish now I would have bought the smaller bag, instead of the largest!!! But I'm looking into others, holistic select or Fromm are the runners up...it will be one or other for sure. little stinker has to be on grain free which is more expensive with Fromm, but I constantly worry when the next recall will be with diamond. I'm just over the stress of it lol. That's the only thing I would caution with buying in bulk of that food, they do seem to have a lot of recalls. Other then the manufacturer being famous for recalls it was a good food. Tyson did well on it as well. And arabella loves totw fish blend but between the gas and the worry, I just can't do it anymore!! The food merry-go-round.......I think ive spent more time on that research then anything!!!

You do understand that for the most part the "recall" of dog food is for salmonella (most times). The recall is for the Human part of the equation, not the dogs. Humans touching the food or the stools of the dogs that eat the salmonella food can be dangerous... but dogs are designed to handle salmonella for the most part... there are plenty of online research projects that support that.

Anyway, if you're looking to change foods... Fromm is one that I have used along with Merrick dog foods... the Merrick is a bit cheaper if I recall and my little girl had little to no gas on it.

Bathel

Super Boxer
You do understand that for the most part the "recall" of dog food is for salmonella (most times). The recall is for the Human part of the equation, not the dogs. Humans touching the food or the stools of the dogs that eat the salmonella food can be dangerous... but dogs are designed to handle salmonella for the most part... there are plenty of online research projects that support that.

Anyway, if you're looking to change foods... Fromm is one that I have used along with Merrick dog foods... the Merrick is a bit cheaper if I recall and my little girl had little to no gas on it.

Re-reading my above post, I seem to maybe have come across as a bit of an ass in they way I posted that... please excuse me if that is the way it came/comes across. It was not my intention.

LoveMyLoki

Boxer Buddy
There's always something bad about different manufacturers, depending on the day; but like Bathel said, its the human element that causes problems.
What bothers me is how my puppy reacts to food. his body didnt like TOTW, runny stool.
He loves 4 health and is doing very well on it.

Fromm is as expensive as Blue Buffalo, 50 bucks for 33 lbs in my area.
and Merrick is $18 for a 5lb.
Lord.
just when you think you have all your answers.

New question.
How soon can you switch a dog from puppy food to adult formula?

Bathel

Super Boxer
There's always something bad about different manufacturers, depending on the day; but like Bathel said, its the human element that causes problems.
What bothers me is how my puppy reacts to food. his body didnt like TOTW, runny stool.
He loves 4 health and is doing very well on it.

Fromm is as expensive as Blue Buffalo, 50 bucks for 33 lbs in my area.
and Merrick is $18 for a 5lb.
Lord.
just when you think you have all your answers.

New question.
How soon can you switch a dog from puppy food to adult formula?

If you have a Costco you can check out their brand of grain free dog food... I forget what it's called, but I've heard good things on it and it's about 30 dollars for a 30 lbs bag.

I use an all stage life food so I'm not the best to ask on when to switch... however, from memory it's around 1 year old.

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy

Yes, I did know that most the recalls are the salmonella issue. My problem with that is a couple things, first of all , is we use kibble as treats because were doing so much training at this stage with her, were handling the kibble A LOT, and I do not always remember to wash my hands every single time we treat for something, and I've had salmonella poisoning long ago....not fun!!! On another end of it.... My kids...ages 10,8 and 5….also handle the kibble , a lot, be it feeding times or treating with it. And I know for sure they do not remember to wash their hands. Lol...it impossible for me to catch them every single time they handle it.....so for me even the human aspect of it is enough for me!!! Not to mention she still is house breaking, and although I'm a super neat freak I guess you just can't be too careful when its in your house :( so that concerns me..... I think just in general we are all human and human error can happen. I wouldn't nessarly change a dog food because of one or even two mistakes, but given the fact they have had so many recalls, it doesn't give me a lot of faith in the care they take in their product. Look how many years Fromm has been producing dog food with no recalls. It can be done. Their not perfect either they could have a recall tomorrow, but the fact is they have an awesome track record and that would be an "accidents happen" situation....just habitually makes me wonder about the care and concern they put into their product. We just decided to make it work in the budget for a dog food were comfortable with, we can't Offord $80 a bag, but the $50,range is ok and I hate to see the $60 mark....but we can do that with maybe a tad over...plus I hear they eat less of higher quality food...so maybe it won't be as expensive as it sounds lol !!!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
The Costco grain free food is an all life stages food too. Here in Canada there are two varieties, Salmon and Sweet Potato, and Turkey and Sweet Potato. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.