1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st agility class AGH!

Discussion in 'Agility/Obedience' started by larrygs, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larrygs

larrygs Super Boxer

Well, last night was our first agility class. Layla was very wound up and hard to keep focused. She was the youngest dog there and the only boxer. LOL, all the other dogs are so calm, and there we were. It was like someone with ADD after a cup of expresso. Wanted to go everywhere and check everything out. We had high value treats, turkey hot dogs, which proved great in obedience training. Last night she wanted whatever treat anyone else was giving. Some things went well, other times she just didn't want to listen. This was all new and she was pretty stressed, so I am hopeful things will settle down as she gets comfortable. It would be easy to get real frustated, but I recall the first days of obedience class was similar. So we are keeping a positive attitude.... for now.

2. IluvLucy

IluvLucy Boxer Insane

Hang in there, it will get better!cool2icon

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

You might try some homemade treats. Here are a couple of recipes:

TUNA FUDGE -- good agility /obedience treat, soft, smelly

2 - 6 oz. cans tuna OR 1 - 14 oz. can salmon (do not drain either)
    1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or Brown Rice Flour
    1 Tbsp garlic powder or granulated garlic
    2 eggs -- lightly beaten
    grated parmesan cheese, about 1 handful

Mix all together in a mixer or food processor, I use a food
    processor and toss in a few small chunks of parmesan cheese first to grate those, then add the rest all at once and pulse until thoroughly mixed, takes maybe 3 minutes start to finish.

grease a 9x9 pan (I use spray canola oil), bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. ( I would use parchment paper)

Texture is sort of fudge/putty-like .Keep them in freezer as they freeze very well. They can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 days. I cut them into very small squares. I toss them into a freezer bag and leave in freezer until needed. Only take out the amount required.

CAUTION: do not refreeze any leftovers, just make the pups do some extra tricks at home to get the goodies.

I used to take these when I was helping out at obedience classes. Most dogs went crazy over them. One lady used to call them puppy crack!

These liver treats are great too.

LIVER TREATS
    1 lb liver ( any type)
    2 cups Brown Rice Flour
    1 T. garlic powder (the recipe I have says to taste )

Mix in food processor, add a little water if necessary. Mixture should have the consistency of cement. Spread into jelly roll pan, 10 x 13" pan with sides (I line with parchment paper). Bake at 300 degrees F. 30 min.for soft treats. Cut into tiny squares. For hard treats bake for another 30 minutes. Important: Cut into squares after the first 30 minutes otherwise you will have one big square that is impossible to cut.
    Keep in the freezer.

I am sure that Layla will soon settle down, when it is not all so new. Good treats will really help though! :)

4. karens

karens Boxer Insane

Oh hang in there!!!! It is worth it. Myles was in agility training forever before he started competing. A lot of boxers do have ADD, but when they are on, they are so much fun!!!

Try getting a toy and engaging her in class. You have to remember that you have to be the most "fun thing" there. Our ticket was a velcro frisbee from the Clean Run website. Worked as a tug toy, treat holder and frisbee toss at the end of a run.

Good luck and most of all stick with it and try not to get frustrated. Trust me when I say that some days are harder than others. Myles' first clean run is the link below. My classmates took the video and my brother put the video together for me and put it up there.

YouTube - Boxer Agility Clean Run

5. larrygs

larrygs Super Boxer

WOW!!!

I am sure the next class will be better, and will certainly keep in mind this is about fun for both of us. If there is anything Layla likes as much as treats it is having fun. Perhaps one day we will be able to post a video. Thanks all, I'll let you know how things go.

6. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

Yes, keep working! I use both of Jan's recipes to make agility training treats, and Oscar finds them very motivating. I found that if I wanted Oscar to be interested in a toy as a reward, it was more appealing if it was some other dog's toy, so another sudent and I would trade our dogs' toys for use during class.

When I took a short class at a different facitity to get some experience outdoors, Oscar was so distracted at the first class that I felt an alien had taken over my dog.

My heart was crushed when DBF loaned out our camcorder right before Oscar's first trial, so I have no video of Oscar's trials. He loaned it to his daughter and son-in-law to get video of the grandbaby!

Some days will definitely be harder than others, but when your dog is 'on' and the two of you are in sync, it is so wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.