1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has more than 2?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by violetashlee, Nov 17, 2017.

1. violetashlee

violetashlee Super Boxer

I am considering getting a 3rd dog. Am I crazy? Here is how I justify it:

Violet grew up with Ivy. They were best friends until Ivy passed away about a year an half ago. Now Violet is 12, and as much as I think she will last forever (perfectly healthy and in the best shape of her life), I know that is not true. Probably sooner than I realize she, too, will pass away.

When Ivy died, I got Poppy. Shes will be 2 in January. Violet and Poppy make great roomates, but aren't besties like Violet and Ivy were. I want Poppy to have an"other half"

Here is my concern. I take Poppy with me everywhere I can - pet store, starbucks, home depot, etc. Ive done tons of training with her. She's earn all of her CGC titles, obedience and agility. If I get another dog, I worry I wont be able to handle both at the same time. And then I would have to rotate trips to stores and walks. So, my questions is: does the companionship of another dog outweigh the complete and probably overly excessive doting I give her to keep her a well rounded member of society? Or am I over thinking it?

bxrbgood likes this.
  2. bxrbgood

bxrbgood Boxer Insane

I have three. If you are fair to them and let them know what you expect Boxers respond very well. I sometimes take three at one time into petco. It can be a work out but the more you do it the easier it gets and the better they behave. I will put the two best dogs leashes in one hand and the one acting out in the other hand by itself for better control.

Attached Files:

violetashlee likes this.
  3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you are crazy.:)

violetashlee likes this.
  4. violetashlee

violetashlee Super Boxer

I knew I have asked a group of unbiased people!!! :LOL:

Poppy's breeder has a litter with a white-one-blue-eye-boy that i have fallen for. I reached out a about 10 days ago. Breeder answered all my questions then I went silent. I just checked the website and he is still available. He will be ready to come home the weekend after my vacation. Timing seems perfect. Not sure whats holding me back. Probably that Violet is almost 12 and I want to do right by her. Not sure she will appreciate another puppy at her age. If I reason it in my head: The puppies would have each other and likely leave Violet alone.

I really want this dog, but scared to pull the trigger....Ive never had 3 dogs.

Also, I already know what I would name him: Azul.

5. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Let your heart and your gut guide your judgement call. You know deep down what's right and what might stress your older "puppy." Don't overthink it. Just go with your first feeling and not "what ifs"

violetashlee and Jan like this.
  6. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

As long as the cost of 3 dogs is not an issue, I would go for it. :) Hopefully the two puppies will leave Violet alone. :)

violetashlee likes this.
  7. Independence

Independence Boxer Insane

We have 3. 8 year old and litter mates that are 3 1/2. We got Tank at 8 months old and his sister Indie at 1 1/2 years old. Bode (8) loves them both. It's an adjustment and we weren't expecting to have 3 but it's been really good. The puppies wrestle and play together a lot. When Bode feels like it he plays too. Most of the time he is content to watch the show. They all play ball in the yard well. When we are not home we crate the young ones and the old man has free run. We take all 3 out on occasion. When the pups are bugging the old man we will take them out and let Bode have a rest. I think it was a bigger adjustment going from 1 to 2. Good luck!!

violetashlee likes this.
  8. bxrbgood

bxrbgood Boxer Insane

I think taking them on walks together would be the best thing you could do. Your older one will set the example, help train and show the new one whats expected. (y)

9. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

As you can see in my avatar I have had three. We got Arabelle because like you I knew our oldest, Star, wouldn't live forever. She was slowing down and could not keep up with Thor. She was also a great example and help in training Thor, we thought she would help again in training a new puppy .

It worked out well for the most part.. I often travelled by myself and the three dogs. As long as you put in the time into the training it can be done.

My biggest issue was feeding. At one point they were all on different foods and two different feeding schedules.

When Star did pass away nearly two years after we got Arabella, I think having a another dog helped Thor get over the loss, and Thor helped Arabella.

msnitsirk likes this.