1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Type of Crate?

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by x19er, Dec 1, 2014.

1. x19er

x19er Boxer Insane

Which type of crates do you all use? I've came across wire, plastic, soft etc. We've never used one for a puppy before hence why I'm asking. I like the look of the soft ones but I'm wondering if it would too easily chewed and destroyed, I thought that type would be easier to move round the house e.g. bedroom at night then downstairs during the day. Any advice appreciated from your own experiences.

2. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

Right or wrong we have never crated one of our dogs. It does get cramped at times in bed at night. sleepicon

x19er likes this.
  3. x19er

x19er Boxer Insane

Neither have we and yes it does it cramped and warm lol

LoveMyDoggie likes this.
  4. mistydwilson

mistydwilson Super Boxer

We use the wire type of crate for our boys during the day when they are home alone. They are both big chewers nonoicon and so are safe in their crates so they can't get to and chew up who-knows-what while we are out! We don't crate our girl...she doesn't chew up stuff.

crate image.png

They do fold flat and come with an attachable handle to carry it.

x19er likes this.
  5. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

That is because she is a GOOD GIRL! partyicon

x19er likes this.
  6. FinnMom

FinnMom Boxer Buddy

We use the plastic type of crate for Finn when we're out of the house and he sleeps in it at night. He has been in a crate like this one since we brought him home at 8 weeks old and he just turned 1 year old this past Saturday. The only down side to this crate is that it doesn't fold up. It does come apart, a top half and a bottom half, but because of that we don't use it for transport.
    [​IMG]

x19er likes this.
  7. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

I use wire ones. I like the sturdiness and the convenience of being able to fold them for storage. I don't have much faith in how well a soft travel one would hold up, and I don't like how cumbersome the airline crates are. :)

x19er likes this.
  8. luvmyboy

luvmyboy Boxer Insane

I, too, have wire. It's sturdy & folds for easy storage. Both my guys have used it.

x19er likes this.
  9. brodieboxer

brodieboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

I have this airline crate from Chewy. Jackson's an escape artist, and he can't get out of this one. Wire crates are simply child's play for him - lol! Fortunately, he doesn't need crating often, but I like knowing this one will safely hold him, when needed. http://www.chewy.com/dog/petmate-ultra-vari-pet-kennel/dp/51942

x19er likes this.
  10. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Soft crates are great for crate trained dogs who don't chew and desperately want to get out. They really aren't appropriate for puppies.

Are you getting a puppy? Did I miss something?

x19er likes this.