Which Type of Crate?

x19er

Boxer Insane
Which type of crates do you all use? I've came across wire, plastic, soft etc. We've never used one for a puppy before hence why I'm asking. I like the look of the soft ones but I'm wondering if it would too easily chewed and destroyed, I thought that type would be easier to move round the house e.g. bedroom at night then downstairs during the day. Any advice appreciated from your own experiences.

mistydwilson

Super Boxer
We use the wire type of crate for our boys during the day when they are home alone. They are both big chewers nonoicon and so are safe in their crates so they can't get to and chew up who-knows-what while we are out! We don't crate our girl...she doesn't chew up stuff.

crate image.png

They do fold flat and come with an attachable handle to carry it.

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
We use the wire type of crate for our boys during the day when they are home alone. They are both big chewers nonoicon and so are safe in their crates so they can't get to and chew up who-knows-what while we are out! We don't crate our girl...she doesn't chew up stuff.

View attachment 58883

They do fold flat and come with an attachable handle to carry it.

That is because she is a GOOD GIRL! partyicon

FinnMom

Boxer Buddy
We use the plastic type of crate for Finn when we're out of the house and he sleeps in it at night. He has been in a crate like this one since we brought him home at 8 weeks old and he just turned 1 year old this past Saturday. The only down side to this crate is that it doesn't fold up. It does come apart, a top half and a bottom half, but because of that we don't use it for transport.

whiskers

Boxer Insane
I use wire ones. I like the sturdiness and the convenience of being able to fold them for storage. I don't have much faith in how well a soft travel one would hold up, and I don't like how cumbersome the airline crates are. :)

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Which type of crates do you all use? I've came across wire, plastic, soft etc. We've never used one for a puppy before hence why I'm asking. I like the look of the soft ones but I'm wondering if it would too easily chewed and destroyed, I thought that type would be easier to move round the house e.g. bedroom at night then downstairs during the day. Any advice appreciated from your own experiences.
Soft crates are great for crate trained dogs who don't chew and desperately want to get out. They really aren't appropriate for puppies.

Are you getting a puppy? Did I miss something?