1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheelchair training

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by violetashlee, Apr 11, 2015.

1. violetashlee

violetashlee Super Boxer

Ivy has been diagnosed with DM so I got her a wheelchair to assist. The first two days went great and really seemed to even boost her confidence tremendously. Until this morning when she fell off the curb. :( she freaked out.... she started bucking and landed on her back and continued to freak out. I had to take the wheelchair off and carry it home. Now, I cant get her near it. Any ideas? She cant have any treats whatsoever. I tried cheering her on, but I think that in an of itself make her nervous. Ugh. I was going so well.....

2. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

umm its a tough one and such a shame that she had a set back.. All I can say is keep trying to rebuild her confidence and hopefully she will give it another go ... Good luck and keep us posted .

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I am so sorry that she had the problem. Lots of positive reinforcement. Can you use her regular food for treats? Start with giving her a treat if she even looks at it. If you can't use food of any sort, use praise and lots of it, but only when she is looking at the wheelchair.
    Good luck!

4. SherylM

SherylM Completely Boxer Crazy

I'm sorry Ivy is having a hard time. My Jack (my avatar) had DM also and wasn't fond of his wheels but he did use them. I agree with Jan, lots of praise and only when looking at her wheels. Not sure how Ivy eats (Jack wouldn't eat laying down) but you can try feeding her in the cart using a raised feeder. Thats how Jack ate and he was quite happy to be loaded into it at chow time! It associated good food with the bad cart lol. Also don't put the cart out of sight. It gets in the way but leave it laying around anywhere Ivy might be hanging out so that she sees it, maybe even beside her when she's resting? I hope you can get her to change her mind. Good luck!

Roge likes this.