I've been reading some of the previous post on the subject of vaccines and was wondering if anyone had any insight on my situation...
Zara is about 12 weeks old now, she had parvo when we got her (8 weeks) she's all cleared for that. Last week we went to the vet to get her second set of shots (3 in 1) and she had a minor reaction. About two hours later I noticed that she was really sleepy and her left shoulder (where she got the vaccine) was swollen. I called the Vet and asked her if this was an allergic reaction of sorts because on the paperwork that I was given they talked about swollen face and hives. They said that it was a reaction but that they weren't worried, to watch her and bring her in if she got worst. My husband came home and we decided to bring her in just so they could take a look at her (we're so paranoid) and the first vet (her normal vet, the one that handled the parvo and first set of shots) said that she wasn't worried and that it was a very mild reaction and sent me on my way. As I was about to leave the office she runs out with another vet (the one that gave her the vaccine earlier) and said that she had consulted the other vet and they thought it was a good idea to give her a shot for the allergy. So they give her the shot and they tell me to give her Benadryl for 3 days.
Talking to the vet that gave her the vaccine he explained that it would be a whole procedure to give her the next booster and her rabies. They have to give her medicine and then keep her for 24 hours. He was kind of freaking me out, because unlike her regular vet who didn't seem worried about her reaction he was painting it out to be a huge deal. I've read a lot of people say that they don't even vaccinate their dogs with vaccine allergies except for state requiered vaccines. I also read online that once they have ANY type of reaction the likely hood of them having a severe reaction (they stop breathing ect.) multiplies.
I don't know what to do, should I vaccinate? The 2 vets completely different reactions and all the stuff I'm reading online is confusing me. I don't know what is best for Zara, on one hand I don't want to put her in danger of having a worst reaction to the next set of vaccines but on the other I already went through her getting parvo and I wouldn't want to go through that again. Sorry about the long rant...anybody got any ideas??
Zara is about 12 weeks old now, she had parvo when we got her (8 weeks) she's all cleared for that. Last week we went to the vet to get her second set of shots (3 in 1) and she had a minor reaction. About two hours later I noticed that she was really sleepy and her left shoulder (where she got the vaccine) was swollen. I called the Vet and asked her if this was an allergic reaction of sorts because on the paperwork that I was given they talked about swollen face and hives. They said that it was a reaction but that they weren't worried, to watch her and bring her in if she got worst. My husband came home and we decided to bring her in just so they could take a look at her (we're so paranoid) and the first vet (her normal vet, the one that handled the parvo and first set of shots) said that she wasn't worried and that it was a very mild reaction and sent me on my way. As I was about to leave the office she runs out with another vet (the one that gave her the vaccine earlier) and said that she had consulted the other vet and they thought it was a good idea to give her a shot for the allergy. So they give her the shot and they tell me to give her Benadryl for 3 days.
Talking to the vet that gave her the vaccine he explained that it would be a whole procedure to give her the next booster and her rabies. They have to give her medicine and then keep her for 24 hours. He was kind of freaking me out, because unlike her regular vet who didn't seem worried about her reaction he was painting it out to be a huge deal. I've read a lot of people say that they don't even vaccinate their dogs with vaccine allergies except for state requiered vaccines. I also read online that once they have ANY type of reaction the likely hood of them having a severe reaction (they stop breathing ect.) multiplies.
I don't know what to do, should I vaccinate? The 2 vets completely different reactions and all the stuff I'm reading online is confusing me. I don't know what is best for Zara, on one hand I don't want to put her in danger of having a worst reaction to the next set of vaccines but on the other I already went through her getting parvo and I wouldn't want to go through that again. Sorry about the long rant...anybody got any ideas??