1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TRASH BABY!

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by Scarletwaggy, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Scarletwaggy

Scarletwaggy Boxer Buddy

It has been a LONG time since I have posted!!!!! Update, Idgie's Mae is Now 4 weighing a whopping 40lbs and is cute as a button... AND SHE KNOWS IT! She is spoiled Rotten!
    Now Onto the reason for my thread.... My lovely 4 year old girl is a Trash baby :( Just the last few months have been really bad. We have to crate her during the day because she cant stay away. she doesn't chew up anything and really good about following the house rules. We just cant break this horrible trash habit which seems to be getting worse not better. I am concerned is she may get into something harmful to her. We have tried so many different methods to keep her out of the can but alas nothing is working. be it the kitchen can or the bath room can or even the living room can she wont keep her black jowlies out of the can. She knows shes doing bad because if we catch her doing it she runs away she also will not go back into a room after she has had her "snack".
    Set up in our kitchen we have a glass sliding door which we have Idgie's food and water dish at ( you know dinner with a view, nothings too good for our girl LOL) and off to the Left about 3-5 feet from her bowl is the dreaded can. I know keeping her food NEAR the can isn't the best idea but the way the house is laid out its the only place that works. and it never bothered my last boxer, sure she tried it a few times but she was easy to curb, Miss Idgie Mae however... not so much. We have put lids on it.. ( wont stop her) we tie the bag up at night ( wont stop her) short of putting the can on the counter and lifting up all the cans in the house, I'm not sure what else we can do. I have even tried spraying the bitter apple stuff on the sides of the can.... again doesn't bat an eye at it. I don't want to have to change our home, but rather just train her to not want the can. She is very receptive to training and has learned so many tricks and good behaviors just in the last year, I know I can teach her to stay away I just need advice on how.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated <3

2. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

With Arabella I bought the kind you are suppose to step on a pedal to open, and then turned it around since the pedal faced the wall. I would use my hand to open the lid, but she could not use her nose because the hinge faced her. I did this for every trash can in the house, bathrooms, office, bedroom, and kitchen. It broke her of the habit and now I can put the cans the correct way .

msnitsirk likes this.
  3. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

This in genius! I did not have this problem but I applaud your ingenuity! I may need it for future pawprints in my future! Boxers are stinkers, lovable to death, but they do try to outsmart you at every measure to keep them safe.

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, that would not work with Dante. He just knocks them over and then gets the lid open. I think I have finally defeated him, as long I remember to put the bag inside the can before I leave. I use green recycling container that have handles on the back. I have attached them to the wall so that he can't knock them over. :) The lids latch shut, so he seems to only be able to get them open if he can get them on the floor.

5. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

So sorry Dante! applauseicon

6. msnitsirk

msnitsirk Boxer Booster

Sometimes defeating our Boxers is the best way to love them for their own good. Darn stinkers are safe crackers and find every way around being loved. Darned stinkers they are. Where is Waldo? (I don't mean the cartoon, I mean the actual BW member who Waldo owns!)

7. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Aww well the old "Stronger Trash" can approach?? I suppose that can work?? But color me as" not a fan" of that parroach..I much prefer to "show my dogs what I want" and how I expect them to behave.."

You have three variable options :
    Option one ... do nothing and learn to learn with the behaviour?? The stronger trash can approach. The dog can't get into the trash can so ... good enough??"

Option two ":Self Exhtishing Behaviour" instead of "fighting with a behaviour one does not want??" One trains a behaviour they do want ie "Walk the Dog, Train Place and Do Sit on the Dog." Those take more "time" but if done ... one never need address the issue directly. "Self Exhausting Behaviour" is a thing It, seems to be kinda what I do. :)

Option three "Address the issue directly" by "Correcting the Dog directly" for inappropriate behaviour! And for that ... I would recommend a "Bonker." It's towel bound with rubber bands and when the dog engages in the behaviour you don't want ... you throw it out them and say nothing or No, it doesn not really matter?? If no says nothing ... ten it's an "Act of God Correction???" IE where did that come from??? Search for Gary Wilkes and "Bonker Training" he's on FB ... so you can ask him directly.:)

Now I can't speak to the effectiveness of it (Bonker) directly, because I stayed on top of my guys before they went "Bat Crap Crazy" with one notable acceptation! Over Size Working Line GSD (my first GSD) ...with uh ... serious (Pack and Human Aggression) issues! But we got that crap under control with option two. :)

After there are other options available to deal with this crap "aside from an E-Collar" ... I've not heard of them???