Transporting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
So I'm transporting 7 dogs tomorrow for the rescue group where we got Rocky from (I can't mention the name since they aren't approved and they aren't an ALL boxer rescue anyway they rescue all sorts of dogs).

I'm a bit nervous about being in the car w/ 7 dogs but 6 will be in crates in the back and 1 will be tethered in the front seat!

One of the girls I'm rescuing is a boxer/american staffie mix - she is totally malnourished now you can see all her ribs. I'm a bit hesitant at what my reaction will be when I see her in person. I think I might cry. I bought her a bed for her crate - even if she pees on it who cares - she needs some cushion, poor girl.

I'm excited to FINALLy have time and be able to give back. Time for bed...gotta drive my BEST for these pooches.

djheitz

Boxer Insane
Good for you, Lauren! We frequently get transport requests from groups working on bringing dogs up from the south. I always send them out to our other volunteers if they are coming through our coverage area. We may be different rescues, but the mission is the same - saving lives. If someone in our group can help, maybe someone else will be able to help us next time around.

Transport is such a great way to help. It frees up the "regular" volunteers to get some of the more pressing work done if they don't have to spend hours in the car each weekend.

If there are seven, I'm assuming some are either small dogs or pups? Or is it multiple vehicles? It may be disheartening to see the dogs in their present condition, but you'll be able to follow their progress and know you had a hand in getting them to the 'after' pictures.

caruse

Boxer Insane
Lauren I can understand how you feel..it breaks my heart to see even the ads on TV of poorly taken care of animals....you are doing a great thing and I wish I lived near you...I would go with you!!
Barbara

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
Update on transport last weekend

IT was awesome! I borrowed someone's van and ended up only having so we were able to fit 6 crates in the back of her van with the seats down. EVeryone was in crates - I know someone peed once and I heard a gagging noise ONE time but nothing ever came of it.

These dogs were so cute. So sweet. And they have NO reason to be up until this point. I seiruosly think they knew they were being rescued.

I dropped two off after 1.5 hours in northern IL and then switched the other four into my truck to bring back up to milwaukee. They did well. There was a 77lb lab who was a bit anxious I think - panting, etc. although I think most of these guys had kennel cough becuase everytime I took them out of the crate and outside to pee they were making a weird snorting/coughing type of noise. I don't know what KC sounds like but that was my guess. I guess the shelter that they came from in IL is notorious for KC so yea, wouldn't be suprised.

I was afraid one or some of the dogs would snap at me - not knowing me and me having to pick most of them up to get them in the crate (besides the 77lber) but no. Ijust said in my happy voice "lets go for a car ride" (I don't think they knew what it meant) but then i bent down, picked them up and put them in. They kind of just hovered down as I bent down to get them - Im' sure they were scared.

Anyway it was a GREAT experience. I would definitely do it again and encourage anyone who wants to give back but can't foster or adopt another to do transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.