1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To bring Boxer on Vacation?

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by tmschult, Mar 31, 2015.

1. tmschult

tmschult Boxer Booster

My husband and I have rented a beach house this summer for a week. It is pet friendly and I have paid the "pet" security deposit. It is close to a pet friendly beach and was really looking forward to actually bringing our boxer on a trip with us for once! He is part of our family.

Well- I have mentioned it in a previous post, but he has always been an escape artist, and after many attempts at allowing him free roam of the house while we are away, he has failed (and cost us a lot of $). We have been using a 4ft pen/crate and it worked for almost 2 years (He is 2.5 yo). Now he has learned to escape that. We have had to put wood 2x4's to reinforce it and push tables up against the sides for him not to be able to break out.

This is the dilemma- we were planning on bringing this crate with us when we went on vacation, but now I am thinking I may not be able to bring him at all.... Any suggestions?

2. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

How much is he going to be on his own? And if he is that much of an escape artist, do you have someone you can really trust watching him? Is he trying to escape out of anxiety? I have traveled with my boxers since I got my first one 17 years ago, and have run into very few problems.

If it is an anxiety issue, get a Thundershirt now. It takes a few weeks to properly acclimate a dog to it, but when it works it is a godsend. Also if you do need to leave him for an hour or two, say for dinner, wear him out before you go. A lot of times when Boxers are causing trouble it is because they have pent up energy. If you can wear him out he should sleep while you are gone.

Jan likes this.
  3. tmschult

tmschult Boxer Booster

He has never really suffered from separation anxiety. I think like you said, it's out of boredom. I think the only times he will have to be put away is when we would go out to dinner or do activities, stuff like that. I would be really hesitant to leave him in a rental property knowing he could potentially escape and cause damage though. ay yi yi, decisions. My sister would be able to take him for the week where he would be able to play with her dog but I think I just was really hoping to enjoy a vacation with him.

4. luvmyboy

luvmyboy Boxer Insane

You have to be comfortable with your decision - either way... neither of my boys have ever escaped their kennel, so I have been lucky enough to travel with them quite often. Ben was more trustworthy than Tucker is, so he was able to be left without being confined. Your vacation and rental sound great. He might surprise you in a different environment.

5. brodieboxer

brodieboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

I would board him. We used to take Jackson with us, but have finally reconciled ourselves that it's a lot less stressful for us and for him to leave him at home. There's a fabulous doggie day care that also does boarding near me, and that's where we board him. They feed him what I want, when I want, including meds and supplements. He comes home a tired dog, and I know he's been well cared for.