1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Monks of New Skete

Discussion in 'Books' started by Bullenbeisse, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullenbeisse

Bullenbeisse Boxer Pal

Its not a book specifically about Boxers. Its about German Shepherds. But it has a lot of great insight about how to raise puppies.

I highly recommend.

:)

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

If it is the new and revised edition then I would agree. There was much controversy surrounding the original version. Some of the practices they utilized were not on par with positive training. They have since back tracked, admitted the error of their ways and changed their training methods in the revised edition.

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting! I wasn't aware that they had changed their training methods. I always thought their training philosophies were good, but didn't like the way they went about it.:( I bought their first book years ago when I got Markus as it had been highly recommended to me. I just couldn't make myself follow their methods.

4. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Yeah, the Monks have gone a bit more mainstream. They have retracted their former stance on Alpha-rolls. While their methods still heavily utilize collar corrections they instruct them to be delivered in a timely and effective manner, with no more force than what is needed to change the behavior (which is exactly the kind of collar corrections you should be using if you are going to go that route in your training). If you are looking for instruction in a punishment-based training method, you could do worse than the Monks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.