Thatcher has DM. Anyone use Dwanecart wheelchair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbastedo

Boxer Buddy
Our 9 1/2 year old male boxer Thatcher has DM. I have not had him tested but 4 different vets said that's most likely what it is.
It's been about a year since I first noticed symptoms, we have worn out several sets of booties and kept him walking and as healthy as can be expected.
We feed our boxers only TOTW and have for years now.

It's time to get Thatcher a wheelchair. I've been looking around and I like the Dwanecart a lot, using 20" bike wheels seems like an advantage and the videos I've seen make it look like the dogs just naturally take to the thing and are able to get around great right away.
Has anyone here used Dwanecart?

Any advice on the day to day stuff and / or anything new going on medically?

With his age and size I don't expect him to see another Christmas, but I want him to have more good days in the coming year so whatever we can do to help him will be great.

Thanks, you all were very kind when our girl Tuppy passed so I know this is a place where we can come and find answers about our Boxer friends and their needs.

Gunther

Super Boxer
I saw those but I used the Walking Wheels for Struddel she used it for about three months and then she stopped using it.

I found all the straps and plastic buckels to be kinda problamatic but it's adjustable so I an csize it up for Rocky GSD when the time comes.

People size bed mats will be helpful and either adult dappers are men's guard for when they go potty, just put them in the apporate spot don't put them on the doggie, just use them like a sponge. So bed mats and mens guards, or diapers cut open, etc.

And if he can't rollover you'll need to change his position every couple of hours to prevent bed sores. Keep an eye out on his toe nails, they will grow long much quicker than you think.

I took care of Struddel for about 18 months after she could no longer walk, we had to let her go 11-25-2013.

It took pretty much 24 hour a day care she was never alone ofr more than 4 hour. I worked at night wife during the day.

Good luck and if you have general questions, I'm happy to help. :)

Last edited:

Rbastedo

Boxer Buddy
My wife says we need to let him walk as long as he still can, and I'm with her all the way about that. He did the splits this morning on his way outside and I had to pick him up and get him standing, then he was able to get down the stairs and go out to do his morning routine.
Our back porch has 4 steps, so that's going to be a problem sooner than later.
With the 20" wheels he might just be able to roll up and down those steps - if not I can build a ramp.
It will be more of a problem in the house, there are some narrow doorways so he will need to be put in the chair when he goes outside.
My daughter asked if it's really fair to him to keep him and do all this with the chair and everything. I told her he's not in pain but it's frustrating to him to not be able to run and play like he used to. He's still very strong up front so I believe a chair will make a big difference.
I'm placing the order today, I hope that he's still on his own legs by the time we get it. Like I said it's been at least a year since I first noticed symptoms.
He will turn 10 years old in June.

Gunther

Super Boxer
Yeah my Struddel made it to 10 yrs. For the kiddies as well as your self the answer (to when) is kinda easy, when he does'nt want to eat anymore it's time to say goodbye.

Look into the bed mats and the potty shields (diapers,mens guards etc) it will help keep him dry if no one is around to help him for abit.

Hopefully he'll take to the chair OK and don't go nuts on long walks for a good while if he can do around the block a couple times a week that would be great!

Yeah a wheelchair in the house is gonna be an issue, that's where the little doggies have an edge!

Rbastedo

Boxer Buddy
His favorite place to sleep since being banned from stairs (our bed is upstairs) is the loveseat. He can still usually make it up so most mornings I come down he's comfortably sleeping there. Once that no longer works for him we have some nice covered pads that he likes, one 2'x4' and the other is 3'x6.

Dwanecart so far hasn't communicated with me about when I will get his wheelchair, I know I've got at least one 20" bike wheel outside that I can use and maybe two - just need to make sure they turn freely and have good tires and tubes then we will be ready for it.

When Thatcher is done using this cart we will keep it in case our younger Boxer needs it. Too bad DNA testing for DM wasn't being done when our pups were conceived. Hopefully reputable breeders are testing for it now because it's a terrible thing for a dog to have to go through.

sunspot

Boxer Buddy
Just a thought, for inside where you can,t use the chair they make a very comfortable and easy to use sling, which you slip under his belly and it has two handles so you can pull up and take the weight off his back legs to help him get around or up on a couch ect. I bought one to have in an emergency to help my female because I have a bad back and shes 75 lbs! The part against their skin is fleece like and the other side is a cotton with the handles being nylon leash like material. Good luck to you both and sure do hope the cart gives him some more great walks with his folks!

cantfindlog

Completely Boxer Crazy
His favorite place to sleep since being banned from stairs (our bed is upstairs) is the loveseat. He can still usually make it up so most mornings I come down he's comfortably sleeping there. Once that no longer works for him we have some nice covered pads that he likes, one 2'x4' and the other is 3'x6.

Dwanecart so far hasn't communicated with me about when I will get his wheelchair, I know I've got at least one 20" bike wheel outside that I can use and maybe two - just need to make sure they turn freely and have good tires and tubes then we will be ready for it.

When Thatcher is done using this cart we will keep it in case our younger Boxer needs it. Too bad DNA testing for DM wasn't being done when our pups were conceived. Hopefully reputable breeders are testing for it now because it's a terrible thing for a dog to have to go through.

You can have testing: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Someone on BW recently sent off for testing. I cant find the thread, I know it was in the couple of months.

Rbastedo

Boxer Buddy
You can have testing: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Someone on BW recently sent off for testing. I cant find the thread, I know it was in the couple of months.

Right, I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying.

Testing didn't exist 10 years ago, this is unfortunate for those of us who bought puppies unknowingly carrying the DM genes.
I hope everyone who is breeding now is testing for everything reasonably possible.

Clearly I am not a breeder and am not wanting to have my Boxer tested to know if he has the genes for DM as he most evidently does, he has never passed his genes along so at least I don't have to consider others out there with this disease coming from him.

I just hope that anyone producing puppies in this age is doing this testing so people buying puppies don't have to look forward to having DM in their dog's lives.

After suffering through cancer with our last Boxer and now the DM I am not sure we will be ready for another very soon. We have our 5 year old female, she just may be an only dog for a while after Thatcher's time is over.

Last edited:

Gunther

Super Boxer
Right, I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying.

Testing didn't exist 10 years ago, this is unfortunate for those of us who bought puppies unknowingly carrying the DM genes.
I hope everyone who is breeding now is testing for everything reasonably possible.

Clearly I am not a breeder and am not wanting to have my Boxer tested to know if he has the genes for DM as he most evidently does, he has never passed his genes along so at least I don't have to consider others out there with this disease coming from him.

I just hope that anyone producing puppies in this age is doing this testing so people buying puppies don't have to look forward to having DM in their dog's lives.

After suffering through cancer with our last Boxer and now the DM I am not sure we will be ready for another very soon. We have our 5 year old female, she just may be an only dog for a while after Thatcher's time is over.
Unfortunately I do understand exactly what your saying!

My next Boxer purebred will come from a breeder, I wound up with a Parvo pup that only lasted 2 weeks the first time, so when I got Struddell I asked about Parvo, she lasted 8 years without issue and then DM at 8.2 yrs!

You can't live long enough to get a dog by asking about each genetic defective one at a time! After I get another White Boxer, I'll add an American Bull dog/Boxer mix, I feel I'll have a good chance of no problems with one of those.

I just get a giggle out of seeing my Struddells smile on one of those big A$$ dogs! :)

Gunther

Super Boxer
If you don't have a raised food bowl you should get one, it will make it easier on him, all my dogs used them...well now just the one.Also if you can put in the additional time and work it will require, his time is not done just yet! He can easily make it to next xmas if his legs go out soon and longer if they don't!
And he still needs to exercise but much much less than in the pass, think of him as an engine with bad rod bearings the motor will run but you better throttle it back! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.