1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thai... throwing up and black stool (long)

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Boxer Babies, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxer Babies

Boxer Babies Super Boxer

OOOhhhh I need some help.

It seems Thais problems are just never ending these past couple of months, my poor guy.

Thai woke me up at around 4am this morning wanting to go outside. His tummy was making weird noises. Hubby had to work today so off I go out the back yard, nothing on (cold).

anyway Thai had a wee and then i couldnt see him up the back of the yard. After about five minutes I called him in.

We all went back to bed.

Then at 5am he woke me up again, so Out we go again (this time I put my dressing gown adn slippies on).

he goes straight out and eats a ton of grass, anyone would think he hadnt eaten for a week the way he gobbled it up. About two minutes later he threw up. by this time its almost daylight so I went and had a llook at the vomit and it was pure grass and fluid.

So back to bed we went, tummy had settled a bit too.

My hubby got up around 7.30am and let both dogs out with him.

i got up around 9.30 am ( I know... but its Saturday so) and went out to give them cuddles when I noticed that Thai (I assume) had pooed on the verandah and it was just this very very dark (almost black) fluidy like mucousy stuff. It had a couple of strings of grass in it. I got a stick and moved it around but it was hard to tell if it was bloody. It didnt seem to smell but it could have been there for an hour before.

he wouldnt eat his breakfast this morning, although he did eat his peice of meat with his tablet in.

i boiled up some ckicken and rice this arvo and he had a snack around 3pm and this mix for dinner with just a few kibble in. His temperature is normal and although he is happy to laze around all day, he seems normal if I stir him up and get him excited.

im wondering if anyone knows whether the Pancreatitis can come back, or maybe it never properly went away. Ive had him on Califormia Natural Chicken Meal & Rice for about five weeks now and I am hoping that its not the food causing the problem cause its great food (and Ive just bought two more bags). He has never had a problem with chicken before.

Does anyone have any ideas??

2. Austin's Mom

Austin's Mom Boxer Insane

I know that Pancreatitis can come back in humans, I hope your baby feels better soon.

3. Boxer Babies

Boxer Babies Super Boxer

Thought Id give you all an update on my baby.

Well Thai has not improved at all. Ive had him on chicken and rice for the weekend.

I came home from work today and found he had done three poos, two of which were bright red blood/jelly. I can tell you I freaked right out and called the vet straight away.

my poor vet was supposed to finish work at 5pm, but she waited cause she knew we were coming in.

She did the usual check over and sent me home with an arm full of antibiotics and some stuff to line his stomach lining. She felt that at this point a blood test wouldnt have told us much and she is confident it is not a repeat of Pancreatits. She said it is more likely an inflammed intestine but said any number of things can cause it.

i asked whether his new food (Calfironia Natural) could do it and she said possibly but its hard to say.

She also checked him for diabetes which was negative (thankfully).

She did say there is a lot of Parvo going around at present and they have had it at the vets. I got a bit worried becaue we had been there on Friday having Blayzes stitches out. But the vet said hes had all his shots so it wouldnt be Parvo.

So I have to fast him for 24 hours and see if he improves at all. She told me to ring her at home straight away if he gets worse.

I just cant beleive all these problems Thai is having over the past few months. I wish he could just be a healthy boy (besides his heart). it seems that all these problems began when they changed his heart meds from Carvedilol to Atenolol, but they assure me this wouldnt cause these problems.

im at my wits end. Ive got him on great food, he gets the royal treatment and I just feel so helpless. My boy just doesnt deserve this.

The hardest part is, he acts quite normal, besides beoing a little bit quiet. Still lots of stump wagging and kisses.

i love him with all my canine heart and its horrible all this.

if anyone can offer any suggestions or onformation i would really appreciate it.

sorry this is so long.

4. bayleighmom

bayleighmom Boxer Insane

No advice but I am sending positive vibes to you and Thai!

5. Britbox

Britbox Boxer Insane

Leanne..I'm sorry to hear that Thai is poorly again, but I hope the vet can get to the bottom of whats causing it all and sort him out...You really are going through it lately with those two babies, if it's not Thai, it's Blayz..You really must be the very best 'Boxer nurse' in the whole world by now!

I can't really offer any advice on a diagnosis, as the vet said it could be a number of things...I do know that Millie suffers quite a bit with the runs, and also she's prone to throw up, for no apparent reason...She seems fine, and then she will just throw up her food, or have a couple of days of real bad diarrhea, when we have to run behind her with a shovel in one hand, and litres of disinfectant in the other...She's also doing a lot of coughing lately, it sounds quite worrying sometimes, but of course we know it's to do with her heart condition...Still it worries me silly.

Sorry I can't be of more help Leanne, just wanted you to know, that Thai is always in our thoughts and prayers..I'm hoping he gets over this set back really quickly, and stops worrying his poor mum so. Give him a big get well kiss from me and Millie, and don't forget Blayz when you're dishing out all the slobby kisses!...Please keep us updated on how Thai is getting along, I will be hoping to hear that he's much better by tomorrow. XX

6. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Pancreatitis certainly can come back - in a few cases you can "cure" it, but in the vast majority of cases you're merely managing a life-long condition. Sadly, that is the reality.

7. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

Sorry your baby is so sick-I have a boxer who has had it all too so no real advice just sending good thoughts your way. If it is any consolation my boy is also on altenlol and has tolerated it well, and eats CA Natural so hopefully that is not it either. My boy does have bouts of diarrhea though and we have to be careful with treats-no wheat, brewers yeast, etc. He had, we think, one bout of pancreatitis way back, and that was it though the vets were never sure if that is what it was. Anyway, I hope Thai feels better and you get some answers. Thnking of you-keep us posted

8. Biff

Biff Boxer Insane

((((Healing vibes))))) for Thai, and a big cudde for you ((((Hugs))))

Hope Thai gets better soon,
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

9. kpowell

kpowell Boxer Insane

My poor older dog had pancreatitis for the last 7 years of his life, but none as bad as the first bout. He only had to go back to the vets twice more for pancreatitis. I kept him on stomach enzymes and was so very careful about what he hate. I do know that the minute he had runny poo or threw up I would immediately put him on a 24 hours fast to give his stomach a rest.

Sure hope you figure out what is going on. Lots of good vibes your way!

10. mybubbieroo

mybubbieroo Boxer Insane

Get well soon Thai!

It sounds like you and your babies deserve a break. Just hope treating him with the antibiotics and other medications will help. Sending lots of healing vibes Thai's way. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.