Telling colors early

Status
Not open for further replies.

jljn88

Boxer Booster
I am in the process of picking out a puppy (the litter is only a week old) and I am not sure what colors the puppies will turn out to be. As of yesterday, all the puppies has fawn like heads with dark/grayish bodies.

I didn't know if there was a trick to telling which puppies will be brindle and which will be fawn. If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it!!

Well, you could look at what the parents look like. Fawn/Fawn parents usually produce fawn offspring. You could also consider asking your breeder. They are probably experienced at telling this sort of thing and should be able to help you pick out the correct color. I would wait until their little personalities show though, and pick on personality, as opposed to color alone!

JulieM

Boxer Insane
Boxer puppies are the color they will be at birth. The "dark/grayish bodies" thing is a little concerning - Boxers do not have gray bodies, ever. (Well, when they get quite old sometimes the heavily brindled dogs will look silver, as they black turns to gray. :) ) Have you seen the pups in person, or just in a photo? Fawn puppies will sometimes have a black 'stripe' running along the spine, and black-tipped hairs, and in a poorly-lit photo might look dark brown. Reverse brindles might look black, but they wouldn't have fawn heads. Light brindles (who may have fawn-looking heads) will have stripes running in the direction of the ribs, or possibly on the legs. Is there a photo you could post?

jljn88

Boxer Booster
I don't have a photo, but I did visit the puppies this morning and got a good look at them, the gray/darkish color description was from my breeder. I have seen that some of the pups have the 'stripe' down the back and some have the dark tipped coat ... all the pups have light color heads.

Hopefully I'll end up with a cute fawn puppy!! Thanks for all your help.

Jan L

Boxer Buddy
Colours???

Are you sure they are boxers? The stripe down the back is a concern, have you seen the parents? Boxers are born either red(fawn) or brindle (sometimes white). If both parents are red, then the pups must be red, however if the parents are one red and one brindle or both brindle then the pups can be either red or brindle.
Hope this helps, whatever colour they are now is what they will be later.

jljn88

Boxer Booster
Update on colors!!

I just went to visit my new furbaby yesterday (she's now almost 4 weeks old!) and she is the red fawn color with flash around her neck, on her chest, and on the tips of her feet. She is georgious!!!

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
My third Boxer was picked at 2 wks of age. She had the greyish color to her...mainly the tips of her fur. She also had the norm black line running down her spine...she turned out to be a very light yellowish fawn color. Chipper and Poppins almost looked black at birth (at first it was hard to tell if they were brindle or fawn...couldn't see a black line running down their backs)...they turned out to be a deep red.

jwright

Boxer Buddy
We just picked our new boxer baby when he was 3 days old!! (and you could definitely tell his coloring...) He's a beautiful brindle with a black mask, and has a flash of white on his chest... I've also heard that the pink nose will change to black as he gets older... Check out my gallery!

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
jwright said:
I've also heard that the pink nose will change to black as he gets older...

Yes, pink noses will usually be filled in black by the time the pup is ready for it's new home or shortly after. :)

Mollie_T

Banned
Maggie's nose was mostly pink with small spots of black. She will be a year old next month & now her nose is black with the faintist speck of pink at one nostril. I've always heard the flash will also shrink somewhat as the dog ages...

Status
Not open for further replies.