Spade or not to spade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCora

Boxer Pal
I just adopted my fourth boxer yesterday. This one is different on many fronts. This boxer is my first brindle, first female and first non AKC registered boxer. She is CKC registered, not Canadian, so I am unsure what I should do. My wife wanted a flashy seal so when she saw one within budget she got it without much thought. I am away on deployment so I was unable to go with her to see the breeders facilities and ask questions about the bloodline. I have no nice words for an organization that gives registry to a pit bull and this why I'm wondering if I should go ahead and have her spaded. My only hesitation is the fact that she looks the part. She is a beautiful boxer with all the characteristics that make boxers the best breed. In fact, she looks more show quality than two of my AKC boxers. My wife wants her to have at least one litter, but I'm not sure thats be responsible to the breed.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
In my opinion it is not at all responsible to the breed.

CKC (not the Canadian one) is known to be the kind of place where you can register a toaster as a pure bread Snow Bunting as long as you give them the money. They don't care if your dog is even a dog if you get my meaning.

Yes, you should have your dog spayed. She will be happier and healthier for it.
And remind your wife that color mean's nothing in the greater scheme of things ... it's what's inside.

Oh... and I'd start putting money aside for those vet and training bills that may crop up. Some poorly bred dogs have issues. :)
But they can be wonderful dogs despite all that. I always adopt rescues and they are more often than not, poorly bred. I just wish your wife hadn't given money to that unscrupulous breeder.

MyCora

Boxer Pal
In my opinion it is not at all responsible to the breed.

CKC (not the Canadian one) is known to be the kind of place where you can register a toaster as a pure bread Snow Bunting as long as you give them the money. They don't care if your dog is even a dog if you get my meaning.

Yes, you should have your dog spayed. She will be happier and healthier for it.
And remind your wife that color mean's nothing in the greater scheme of things ... it's what's inside.

Oh... and I'd start putting money aside for those vet and training bills that may crop up. Some poorly bred dogs have issues. :)
But they can be wonderful dogs despite all that. I always adopt rescues and they are more often than not, poorly bred. I just wish your wife hadn't given money to that unscrupulous breeder.

The breeder does have a huge following on Facebook which she uses to keep in touch with her puppies. The wife did spend a fair amount of time reading comments made by people who have adopted thru her and had a 5 star rating. I don't think she is of the shady/puppy mill scum variety. The wife even told me that most of her boxers (6 total) stayed inside with a large fenced backyard. She was instructed to pay close attention to the temperament of the adults which she said they were well behaved and obedient. The wife was told that they even keep the white boxers longer to have them fixed before selling them. Other than raising non AKC boxers I think she is a good breeder or at least a good hearted one.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
What genetic health testing has been done on the parents, and past puppies? How far back in the pedigree do the tests go?

I don't put a lot of faith in ratings on Facebook. Sorry. Too easy to delete the negative ones and fake the good ones.

Do the sire and dam have any performance or show titles? Or are they just breeding pets? Here's my point - check out your local Boxer rescues... and see just how many dogs are there. We do not need more pet puppies. There are already thousands seeking homes across the country. The only breeding that should be happening is breeding specifically geared toward improving the health and/or performance of the breed.

I'm glad the breeder at least spays and neuters the white ones. But that is bare minimum to me.

Good luck with your pup.
FYI: it's "spay" not "spade." :)

MyCora

Boxer Pal
What genetic health testing has been done on the parents, and past puppies? How far back in the pedigree do the tests go?

I don't put a lot of faith in ratings on Facebook. Sorry. Too easy to delete the negative ones and fake the good ones.

Do the sire and dam have any performance or show titles? Or are they just breeding pets? Here's my point - check out your local Boxer rescues... and see just how many dogs are there. We do not need more pet puppies. There are already thousands seeking homes across the country. The only breeding that should be happening is breeding specifically geared toward improving the health and/or performance of the breed.

I'm glad the breeder at least spays and neuters the white ones. But that is bare minimum to me.

Good luck with your pup.
FYI: it's "spay" not "spade." :)[/QUOT

Thanks for the spelling correction. In the future, I'll try spell and grammar check my posts before I hit the send button.

Roge

Boxer Insane
Im sure your pup is a beauty no matter what the blood lines are but I would suggest that you spay her ...it is just and old wifes tale that females (( I hate to use the word bitch ... just seems rude )) should have a litter before thet are spayed .
If you want to breed to sell the pups you may find it difficult to find homes for them if they are not regestered with the result being you having to keep them yourself or end up have to hand them over to an over crouded shelter ..which im sure would be heartbreaking for you and your wife.

MyCora

Boxer Pal
Im sure your pup is a beauty no matter what the blood lines are but I would suggest that you spay her ...it is just and old wifes tale that females (( I hate to use the word bitch ... just seems rude )) should have a litter before thet are spayed .
If you want to breed to sell the pups you may find it difficult to find homes for them if they are not regestered with the result being you having to keep them yourself or end up have to hand them over to an over crouded shelter ..which im sure would be heartbreaking for you and your wife.

We already have a dog that was a puppy mil rescue. So the shelter would be the last place I would bring them. In talking with the breeder it appears they were screwed by another breeder when they purchased the sire. That's why the puppy was so cheap ($450). They were informed by AKC that there were ways of getting him registered, but (as mentioned in another topic) it was way more time and money then they were willing to do. I might try to get in touch with AKC since I know that it is possible. If not I will SPAY her.
I too find the word bitch a little repulsive. I can see my wife getting pissed mistaking me talking to her. Lol

Last edited:

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
So I'm gonna get it for this post. I usually hate to go against the grain in life, but here goes my opinion.

(Btw, doesn't Helen always have the sweetest most kind inputs always, I think she's great. I never word things right! lol)

So when I first got Tyson I had never heard such a thing as "health testing" until I joined boxer world. And I started learning about it. I totally sided with that. And I was like "yes!!! No more back yard breeders" I started regretting having bought Tyson from someone who didn't health test. But I think I was being a bit swayed......

I've felt a bit conflicted over that in time. So ..... the good Lord created these great animals for us to enjoy. But I think we as humans get to the point we worship the creation, more then the creator. ....bare with me.....

So I never had my husband health tested or even checked into his family's medical history before I chose to reproduce with him. I personally in my life have never met anybody who has done that. It would almost seem odd to hear someone say they were having their spouse health tested before having children with them.

So my thing is, yes I understand in keeping the breed standard. I agree that boxers are starting to not look like boxers. I do not condone, nor support the idea of puppy mills, or people who breed to make a dollar and care less about the dog. That's horrible. But I think when we start putting animals before humans, we have got a bit off track. That's not how it was ever intended to be. I'm just saying, why is that standard higher for dogs then it is humans?

Tysons breeder loves her boxers. They are very well cared for with well rounded temperaments. The puppies are very well cared for, she has one struggling right now and she gets up every 2 hours to be sure she's taken care of. She does whatever necessary to ensure their health. I know some would say, "that's the minimum she should do" or even that's her responsibility. Yes but my point is, she does it. She cares for them. She keeps any puppy that she feels May have any issue, until she's positive and vet cleared that its ok.

I think a lot of her as a breeder, and I think she goes beyond in every way with her litters. I understand the concerns of health issues. But in having a pure bred dog, it goes with the territory. Every pure breed comes with its set of genetics that are good or bad. Regardless weather health testing is done or not, its no guarantee. You can pay $2000 for a dog, and still end up paying out for heath issues.

So that's my take on it. I'm sure this is going to be bad, but it's just my view on it.

ssabine

Boxer Pal
Purists vs Business people

Thank you for being brave and posting the other side of this argument, Tyson Cheetoh. I was in the horse industry for 10 years and I saw horses viewed as "goods" or "chattal" more than I saw them viewed as pets. If you are a professional working with animals you care about the bottom line and profit margins. I can't judge a backyard breeder. His trade is perfectly legal. We who see boxers as more than just property can only promote the idea to the consumers that buying from a responsible show breeder is better for them and the dog in the log run.

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thank you for being brave and posting the other side of this argument, Tyson Cheetoh. I was in the horse industry for 10 years and I saw horses viewed as "goods" or "chattal" more than I saw them viewed as pets. If you are a professional working with animals you care about the bottom line and profit margins. I can't judge a backyard breeder. His trade is perfectly legal. We who see boxers as more than just property can only promote the idea to the consumers that buying from a responsible show breeder is better for them and the dog in the log run.

Thank you for you opinion on it !!! I failed to mention and should have, I have total respect for those in show, and those that breed them.it's a wonderful thing and I appreciate all the work that goes into it. I really wish I could be a part of that myself. I hope I didn't come across as discounting that , as I know how much work goes into that :) thanks for not putting me on the chopping block :)

Status
Not open for further replies.