Somebody please help me

violetashlee

Super Boxer
to stop puppy biting... I have a 4 month old puppy who bites hard when she get riled up. It happens when I walk across the room. She bites my feet/ankles and it hurts.

I've tried redirecting her with a toy. I even been keeping one in my pocket so I have one I can grab quickly. She is smart. She runs it across the room, drops it and comes back to bite my feet.

I've tried just stopping and not moving if I do not have a toy near. It doesn't help; she continues to bite and its hard enough that I cant stand there and just take it.

I've tried asking for a sit. She will sit, but as soon as I move again, she is back at my feet.

I've tried to let out a high pitched yelp. She only responded to that once. I try to avoid doing that because it scares my other dog.

I dont know what I am doing wrong. Should I be putting her in her crate until she calms down? Anyone have any suggestions or know of any good articles that describe how to curb this behavior? I dont know if this is "nipping" behavior or what it is to google the articles myself. It feels like biting.

She has tons of chew toys that she does use. This happens when only when she is really excited and I am walking.

Today it was bad enough I had to defend myself by prying her jaws off my Achilles. Admittedly, I got angry this time bc it hurts and shes bites harder and harder each time. My previous puppies never bit me. I dont know what to do.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
The only thing that has worked for me is the yelp. It is speaking their language. I realize you said it scares your other dog, but that may not be a bad thing. It might get your other dog's attention enough to help you correct the puppy. I know that has happened with my dogs. The only other thing I can think of is putting something that tastes bad on your ankles.

bxrbgood

Boxer Insane
You can try pressing his lips onto his sharp teeth when he bites you. Or a squirt gun/spray bottle with water in his face will change his focus real fast.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
You could try spraying your ankles with Bitter Apple. Tara used to go nuts when I was taking her out, biting my hands. It helped. :)

Gunther

Super Boxer
Well if you wan to search google ... look for chip18 place command, "Place Command" would be the place to start in order to "Train" your dog to "Chill." And as for the immediate problem ... well until you deliver an "aversive' to your dog for making "Poor Choices." He's not gonna stop.
Use a Pet convincer and call it day, aim it at the dogs shoulders or neck not his eyes or face, most likely you will only have to use it once! From then on a verbal "Pssst" sound from you will deliver the same message ... "make better choices dog." :)

.http://www.petconvincer.com/