1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow and boxers??

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by TinksDream, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

For Xmas my family is renting a cabin up in the mountains where there will be snow. I live in an area that has a very mild winter and doesn't ever snow. So my question is.....how warm of coats do I need to buy my pooches and do they need protection for their paws?
    I'm pretty sure my female is going to hate it, she pokes her head out the dog door to test how hot it is in the summer and how cold it is in the winter to determine if she really wants to go outside, so I have a lightweight fleece jacket for her for winter nights that I'm thinking I'll put in her when we are in the cabin so she's not cold inside and she'll need a warmer one for going out.

2. MARNOLD

MARNOLD Boxer Booster

My two boys love the snow. They go out and play in it for about 20 minutes before they have enough. They do not wear coats or booties. I find it funny when its snowing and they are running all over trying to catch the snowflakes.

3. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

My dogs have all hated the rain, were never thrilled with cold weather, but when it comes to snow....OMG! You would think it was is a drug! They have all gone absolutely go nuts for it. I only put coats on my dogs if it is below 20* but they have been conditioned as the weather gets colder. I would probably put a coat on them at warmer temps if they weren't use to the cold. I would also get some Musher's Wax or Snout Soother to put on their paws. They are a waxy substance that will protect your pup's paws from salt and ice, both of which can cause the pads to crack and be sore. (It can also be used in the summer to soothe paws that have been exposed to hot streets.) I hope you have a wonderful time!

4. sjtorr

sjtorr Boxer Booster

I can't believe we are already talking about snow lol... This will be first winter for our pup... I think we have snow forecast for this weekend already!

For feet... I've also heard just plain Vaseline works well too, and if it hasn't completely worn off by the end of being outside, it won't harm even if they do lick some off their paws. Any experience with that as an option?

5. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

Thanks! I have been looking in eBay for coats and I will look into getting something for their paws. We will have 6-7 dogs there so it will be interesting to see how they all like the snow :)

6. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

It really all depends on your boxer. Terramoto was a tough dog and didn't like wearing coats. I would insist on him wearing a fleece coat, when it would get below -20 C. He never wore boots. He wouldn't run around with them on. So there was not point, as the idea of going out, was getting some exercise. Their feet tended to toughen up as it got colder. When it first got really cold they would start picking up their foot and holding it up, because it was cold. It never seemed to last. In no time they weren't doing it anymore.

It will be interesting to see how Dante and Allie do. I think Dante will be cold and will need a coat. Allie is a tough little girl and suspect that she won't want to wear them.

7. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

Gus has been out in single digits with no protection. I constantly check his feet and ears to make sure he's not freezing but he loves it! He's half lab but his fur is all boxer - no undercoat. And he stays pretty thin so I used to worry about it. But he's never worn anything. Sometimes in super cold weather and/or deep snow he will run too hard and the fur between his hind legs will frost up and create some chaffing and then he bleeds a tiny bit and it will be pink frost. The first time it happened I freaked out, but he was fine. But like Pam's dogs, he has been gradually conditioned as winter approaches each year. If it was a sudden change I might make him wear a sweater at least.

8. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

You will probably want something for him just because he's not going to be used to the cold/snow. Once we start dipping into the below freezing temps, I will put a fleece sweater on Juno... I don't know that it's really the most helpful thing ever but I guess it's something.

I don't do anything for her paws, usually. Mostly it's just her ears that get really, really cold - so sometimes I like to torture her with a hat.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/SingedWhiskers/CAM00125_zpsd2c45351.jpg

:)

9. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

@ whiskers: Oh my goodness my two would freak if I put a hat like that on them! LOL
    I do want to find them jackets that have hoods but I don't think they will like them haha.
    I am gonna get them both coats bc it doesn't snow here and the highs are usually a dry 40's in the winter here so snow will be a big change for them.

10. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

Ok ... since this is about snow and cold... I guess I have to reply. :)
    Go ahead, twist my arm...

I moved my boy from LA to Fairbanks AK at the end of January. He went from 70F to -35F in one week. Poor thing. But he handled it better than I thought he would. For your sensitive pooches, I'd try to find something that will cover the chest as well as the back and just keep a close eye on them while they are outside. They usually stay warm as long as they keep moving. But if they stand around for long, they might get chilly.

The ones with a thicker coat shouldn't have any problem at all.
    Definately get some slickem for their toes... Bagbalm works well too.

Here's my boy when it hit -58 ... hat, boots and all... http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/endlessamusement/2013/58belowweek13small.jpg

By the time the temp warmed up to a fairly consistant 10below or higher, he was was out there necked. He just LOVES the snow now.
    :)
    http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/endlessamusement/2013/0226031721_zps29697435.jpg

I find boots cause more trouble than not in the snow because they clog up with snow globs. They are great for walking on roads and plowed areas though. I don't think you'll need them - but it wouldn't hurt to have a set for your sensitive girl just incase she just shivers and wont put her feet down.

And just for fun ... Kisaq out ice-fishing last winter...

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/endlessamusement/2013/IMG_0119resized_zps33e448b3.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.