1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show name Ideas and checklist

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by ssabine, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssabine

ssabine Boxer Pal

So excited to have sent a deposit on a show puppy. She should be ready by April 5th.
    I told my breeder my idea name and she wasnt excited. Im new but I think there is kinda a standard I haven't got the hang of. LOL Id rather run any new name ideas by you guys. What do you think about "SHE WANTS PRADA OR NADA" OK? Also I talked to the vet recommended for show cropping. Ive found an all breed club that provides conformation classes. If anyone can think of anything else let me know. Waiting would be easier if I had items to cross off a list.

Jacquie

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

That's cute. What would her call name be? Prada?

If you are registering with AKC you are limited to 50 characters (including spaces) so just watch out that you don't go over once you add the kennel name in.

Most breeders of show quality dogs who expect to see their pups in the ring representing their kennel/breeding program will put at least some restrictions on the names you choose. Did your breeder give you any guidelines or anything?

I've known some to get really picky but if you ask them they always think it is for good reason. A lot of times it is a way to give a hint to the dog's lineage without having to see the pedigree. If you think about it, it's a way to proudly put their stamp on the pup that will be with it for its lifetime.

Sometimes they are really proud of either the sire or the dame's accomplishments and so will want to include a portion of their name in each of the pups' names so that everyone knows those pups came from a particular parent.

Sometimes they will pick a theme for the litter and request that all pups' names follow the theme (stars, cocktails, cars, weather, etc.) so just by looking at the names you can tell that all those pups came from the same litter.

Sometimes they will request that all the pups from a particular litter have names that start with a particular letter, again to help determine which breeding those pups came from.

Most breeders have their personal traditions--in fact, the entire dog fancy is steeped in traditions--and it can be difficult to sway their minds, especially about something so personal.

3. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Start making a list of all the things your pup will encounter if you show her so that you can start socializing her to them right away. She'll need to be desensitized to the sights and sounds of the show ring but also to stuff she'll encounter in the benching area: the sound of blow dryers, proximity to barking dogs, standing on grooming tables, sound of crate doors slamming, announcements over PA systems, etc. There are CDs available that are recordings of show sounds that you can play (softly at first but then gradually at louder volume) to get her used to them.

Chilling out in a crate is going to be a must for any show dog. Look now for books and articles on crate training--not so much as its use to aid housebreaking but more like how to get your dog to love being in the crate. Susan Garrett is an agility competitor that has published a great program call Crate Games that is excellent for this.

Start looking now for a mentor--someone you can tag along with to shows to get some experience and an insider's view before you compete yourself. Attend as many shows as you can (doesn't matter the breed) just to see how things are done and what works (or doesn't) for others--from their actions in the ring to what they do ringside to how they organize their crating area and what they bring with them.

4. ssabine

ssabine Boxer Pal

Great info

Thanks for your thorough helpful answer. You gave new specific training advice I never heard before. As far as training a show female I'm going to definitely need an experienced showmanship insight. All my life I've had male boxers. Female boxers seem less eager to please. Any tips

5. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Start now building value in some motivators. The good thing about conformation is that you can bring food into the ring so as long as you have a food motivated dog you'll always have something to reward them with.

Outside the ring and for "real-life" it's not always possible or practical to carry food so also build value in toys and playing with you. Then give them in exchange for good obedience. That way being with you, getting attention from you, and doing as you ask become the way to get the things she really wants and you get the attentive well behaved dog you want.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. ssabine

ssabine Boxer Pal

Umm breeder doesn't like name

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.