1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show dog questions.

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by penalope, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penalope

penalope Boxer Buddy

I have been wondering about show dog boxers.
    How do they have to look like the features for them i probably wouldn't show my dog but i had always wondered how to show your dog. Also at what age can you start showing your dog. Also one quick question which is off of topic is there really a difference in the euro dogs than say the american boxers?

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

You can enter and show any purebred registered dog you want but the dogs that win are the ones that conform best to the breed standard. The standard is a written description of the physical characteristics of the breed. Every registering body that recognizes a particular breed (AKC, UKC, etc.) has its own standard for that breed and you can view the standard on their websites. Dogs must be intact and at least 6 months old to show in the conformation ring.

Most breed standards read very similar from one registering body to another but there can be slight differences. These slight differences in the standard are what accounts for different "types" within a breed. There are some physical differences between Boxers from European lines vs. American lines. The Euro dogs tend to be slightly shorter, wider in the chest and with slight differences in the head shape and muzzle angles and proportions. There are no greater differences in temperament between the Euro Boxers and American Boxers than there is within either group.

If you have the time and are interested, I'd suggest you check with your local kennel club or search the registering body's site for sanctioned events being held near you. Find out if there is a Boxer specialty show in your area. That's a show only for Boxers and you'd get to see many representations of the breed and how they are handled in the ring. If there isn't one of those you could look for an all breed show. Many training facilities will offer breed handling classes to those considering showing their dogs. The instructors are usually retired judges or competitors and are very eager to share their knowledge of the fancy with you.

3. penalope

penalope Boxer Buddy

Thank you so much for your valuable insight. I kind of have thoughts of showing my baby girl but still unsure about it. Might not ever do it but it's always good to have knowledge of things before hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.